2017 Discover; Diesel or Gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also driven Audis for years, and low-rpm turbo grunt is what put a grin on my face. I also thought my diesel Audi loaners were fantastic fun compared to ones with the supercharged 3.0 and 2.0T motors.

Driving these cars near redline an excessive amount is silly, so obtaining full power at 3k rpm vs 6k rpm would be so much more useful. Being able to stay in one gear climbing up steep mountain passes is what I’d absolutely love in my LR4.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will sound like I'm some sort of elitist... but aren't we all? Driving Land Rovers rather than Jeeps ;)

Coming from someone who grew up in Europe (above the average median income) this talk about diesel seems ludacris. Why would anyone pick a diesel over a gasoline engine???
They polute more, are slower, don't work well in the cold, are really bad at accelerating (besides making noise), cost much more than similar gas engine and it goes on.
For Europeans, diesel makes sense, you pay a little more for your car and then buy cheaper gas (diesel) for the next 10 years and spend less money on various taxes. It takes so long for this to actually be a benefit that most European driver keep their car for 10 years or more.
In the US, the only point is range. A Diesel engine still is much more expensive than a high performance gasoline engine, and diesel costs more than gas at the pump. It will take many years to make up for the difference.

We all dream of being long distance adventurers but who can really afford the time off for this kind of life.

Anyway, to each their own but my pick would be the higher performance gasoline engine any day.

Did I mention dieselgate???

Last edited:

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just want to clarify that diesel is better for the environment than gasoline. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rent diesel cars every trip I take to London. Most modern turbo diesels have absolute gobs of torque and I am always impressed with their acceleration. Like others have said, range is incredible with them. You're talking about an increase of fuel economy near 30-35 MPG for the 2016 Discovery 4's 3.0 TDV6 in the UK. The VAST majority of Land Rovers on the road in the UK are all diesel. I have no clue why it has this really weird stigma in the US. People think of old clattering 80s era diesels and really are out of touch with the modern engines.

Last edited:

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys but my " Smart Phone " posted something by itself. What I was trying to say was that I agree with AxelR. I too grew up in Europe and the only reason people were buying diesel cars was cheaper diesel fuel. But with higher demand for diesel fuel the difference in price at the pump is not so great now and paying more for diesel engine takes long time to break even or takes lots of miles or kilometers. You see why fleet vehicles are diesel there. Remember that in Europe. The bigger engin the BIGGER TAXES.. You can check how much is tax on 3.0 liter engine in Switzerland ( I believe yearly).This is why you see so many 1.0, 1.4 liter engines in Europe. Not because people in Europe like those crapy underpowered motors. Average Joe just can not afford anything bigger then 2 liter.
Big diesel engine is great for an SUV or off road truck. ( I mean at least 3 liter turbo diesel engine) Lots of low end torque is great for relaxed driving and off-road application.
Talking about car prices in Europe and the US. My European friend bought a new Audi A4 , not Quattro , just front wheel drive, with 2.l gasoline engine not fully loaded and paid for it more what I paid for almost fully loaded Audi S4 with 3.0 supercharged motor.
We live in two different worlds.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV