2017 Discover; Diesel or Gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, leaving the aesthetics and tailgate debate for another thread, if you were going to buy the 2017 Discovery, which engine would you get?

According the website there are two options;

1) 3.0 Liter LR-V6 Supercharged
  • Power: 340HP
  • Torque: 332lb-ft
  • Maximum Speed mph: 130
  • Acceleration 0-60 mph in 6.9 sec
2) 3.0 Liter LR-TD6 Diesel
  • Power: 254HP
  • Torque: 443lb-ft
  • Maximum Speed mph: 130
  • Acceleration 0-60 mph in 7.7 sec

I've never had a diesel, although when gas prices were high there was a lot of chatter about diesel engines. I know it's an expensive car and the argument is that the price of gas should not be an issue. But when prices go up again, and they will, $80 for a fill-up is tough to swallow, especially if you're doing it often. It would be nice to get noticeably more range out of a tank. So, that is admittedly the driver for me; Vehicle range increased and cost per mile decreased.

Is it true that in the UK, Land Rover's diesel is the more common engine ordered? If so, that should mean they are good at making a diesel and have it dialed in.

In the U.S., it seems like most of the diesels are now pretty clean burning and don't stink, but I still see black tailgates and get that oily whiff of exhaust from cars on occasion. I really don't want to deal with that. With the number of exhaust free electric cars increasing on the road, I don't want to be the one pulling up in a smog factory. It's not a huge factor now, but it will become one in the next few years.

How are maintenance costs of the diesel engines vs. gas?

Be great to hear from anyone who has a RRS with Diesel, which would be a good comparison. Possibly the same engine.

Anyway, curious to hear your thoughts on engine choices and models.

Thanks!

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd absolutely choose the diesel.

Honestly, if I had a choice between a 3.0 TD6 or the 5.0 V8 in my LR4, I'd choose the TD6. Why? Range, fuel consumption, and ability to chip the TD6. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost every non-domestic SUV sells more diesel engines than petrol in every market except the United States, where they haven't been offered.

I would absolutely get a diesel Land Rover, for a multitude of reasons. Range alone would be enough for me.

sewhelan9

Reaction score
One word of caution, with the current smog equipment that is festooned on the U.S. diesels these days, if you are not driving plenty of highway miles on a regular basis, you could be in for some trouble. The emissions systems need to get nice and hot on a regular basis to clean themselves of the soot that they filter out of the exhaust. We had a ton of issues with a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L EcoDiesel before moving to our 2016.5 LR4 Landmark, but my wife only drove city miles primarily.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesels are more common in the UK and all of Europe because diesel is cheaper than gas. It should be cheaper here too but that is anther story.

I have had many diesel Audi loaner cars over the years and really like how they drive. With more torque at lower rpm's, they feel quicker, although the actual 0-60 time is slower than gas. No fumes or clatter, you would never know there is a diesel under the hood.

I only have a few concerns, is that diesel a Jaguar engine or a Ford engine, and does it have a proven record of reliability?

And will it start when the temp is -22 in VT in February?
We saw a lot of diesel Q7's and X5's with their hoods up, not starting in extreme cold. Our LR3 started, although it sounded like someone was banging metal pots together under the hood until the oil got moving.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We saw a lot of diesel Q7's and X5's with their hoods up, not starting in extreme cold. Our LR3 started, although it sounded like someone was banging metal pots together under the hood until the oil got moving.
:laugh: That's a good point. I don't drive in extreme cold, so I suspect around the NE the heater coil would probably take care of it. Do people still plug in their Diesels at night or is that older technology?

Would the Diesel in the U.S. perform the same as the Diesel in the U.K.? Sounds stupid, but I wasn't sure if we have different emission control requirements or fuel standards that would make it not an apples to apples comparison.

Once you get going, how do the diesels perform at speed? (highway driving, acceleration for lane changes, etc.)

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part of the reason that the LR diesels are now being offered in the US is because European emission standards have risen to be the same as those in the US.

Diesels are fine on the highway. To fully determine whether you'd like it, though, you'll have to test drive one. They are currently available in the RR and RRS.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They perform very well at speed, but drive different. Plenty of low-end torque for a quick lane change. My favorite was an A3 diesel with a DSG transmission. Max torque was at 1500 rpm so you could chirp the tires when accelerating from any stop. There is maybe a 1-second dead spot before the turbo spools up then it would blast off. The odd part to get used to, is that you don't rev a diesel past about 3000 rpm. No additional power in the top part of the tachometer.

Coming from an LR3 you will be fine, as that engine was never that happy to rev. LR4 V8 sounds fantastic in sport mode with shifts near the redline.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72