2020 defender off road pack - rear locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Preetsarai

Reaction score
upload_2020-10-15_16-19-10.png

The offroad pack was available as an option ($1345) when I ordered mine but was trying to stay on a tight budget so didnt select it. I'm sure the decision will come back to haunt me later, but for now I dont do serious offroading that would warrant a locker. I also read somewhere that torque vectoring eats up the brake pads quite fast - so used that as a justification not to get it ;-)

Reaction score
View attachment 11785

The offroad pack was available as an option ($1345) when I ordered mine but was trying to stay on a tight budget so didnt select it. I'm sure the decision will come back to haunt me later, but for now I dont do serious offroading that would warrant a locker. I also read somewhere that torque vectoring eats up the brake pads quite fast - so used that as a justification not to get it ;-)

me too...but we shall see!

PWD2

Reaction score
New or old, they seem to cost about the same!

We are lucky in Canada as we have only have 15yr rule.

Southern european 200 or 300 tdi is the way to go if your state allows. Way better gas mileage/range and still fine for 70mph cruising. $35 - 45 U.S. ish ? plus a bit of refurb.. obviously a crude drive compared modern defender.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are lucky in Canada as we have only have 15yr rule.

Southern european 200 or 300 tdi is the way to go if your state allows. Way better gas mileage/range and still fine for 70mph cruising. $35 - 45 U.S. ish ? plus a bit of refurb.. obviously a crude drive compared modern defender.
That’s nice you can import 10 years sooner than the states. My statement was a little hyperbolic, but not too much. There was a decent looking 110 locally that was $32k, no idea what motor. There are plenty of examples on KSL, the Salt Lake City classifieds, that are $100-$200k all refurbished.

Perseus

Reaction score
Off-road pack is the only way to go if purchasing a New Defender.. I recently purchased a 2020.5 Defender S/P300 with Off-Road and Tow packages. It's a blast to drive off-road especially with the 360 degree camera system helping to spot the tires over rocks.

Kev M

Reaction score
For the record your can get the active diff separate from the off-road pack of you want.

We didn't want the off-road tires for predominantly on-road use but still wanted a capable truck when we needed it.

So we were careful what we picked and chose when we ordered it.
a92e3cbfdd46ad6b38339dd60f4e021b.jpg

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 300Tdi is the best motor in an older Defender. I had that same motor in a 1995 Discovery 1 that I bought new & kept for 20 years. It was great if a bit underpowered, but would cruise all day at 70mph.
It gave the vehicle a good range but only had a 88 lt. tank. I never got around to fitting an aux. diesel tank in it unlike my current 2014 TDV6. The ONLY mechanical issue I had in the old Disco was with the
manual gearbox when I did a bearing on the main shaft & destroyed 3 cogs - it still got me 200 miles
home though!! Good condition low mileage classic Defenders are impossible to find on the market here
They're as rare as good '65 Mustangs or 1960's Ferrari's here in Oz. We'll never see such vehicles from LR again - same as D3's & D4's. Body on frame - a great chassis to mount anything from the aftermarket gear fabricators. I'd suggest new Defender buyers should order up ALL of the offroad options available as it may be impossible to fit gear to them later - like "soft" D5's.

Kev M

Reaction score
I'd suggest new Defender buyers should order up ALL of the offroad options available as it may be impossible to fit gear to them later - like "soft" D5's.

The "off-road" pack is really just the active differential and the off-road tires.

You get (at least by the SE trim level) all the active terrain response, air suspension, and other features.

So if, like us, you wanted the active differential but not the off-road tires (which you can always add) then you can basically order it with everything without ordering the actual "off-road" pack.

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the record your can get the active diff separate from the off-road pack of you want.

We didn't want the off-road tires for predominantly on-road use but still wanted a capable truck when we needed it.

So we were careful what we picked and chose when we ordered it.

I'm guessing you have a 2020. For the 2021 model year, the "build" function on the LR website is incorrect. On the 2021 factory order system, you need to order the offroad pack to get active locking differentials. (And of course the advanced offroad capability pack to get terrain response 2) You can't order the torque vectoring/active diff separately anymore.

When I was picking up my new Defender yesterday, I learned that current delivery time is 4-6 months from order entry and they start taking orders for the 2022 model year in March.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA