2020 defender off road pack - rear locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kev M

Reaction score
I'm guessing you have a 2020. For the 2021 model year, the "build" function on the LR website is incorrect. On the 2021 factory order system, you need to order the offroad pack to get active locking differentials. (And of course the advanced offroad capability pack to get terrain response 2) You can't order the torque vectoring/active diff separately anymore.

When I was picking up my new Defender yesterday, I learned that current delivery time is 4-6 months from order entry and they start taking orders for the 2022 model year in March.

Bummer.

Yeah we ordered ours over the summer and picked it up in October.

We were able to get everything (active differentials and terrain response 2 etc.) with the more road biased tires on black 19" wheels.

I think the tow package was connected to the active diffs or maybe it was just too the AT2. Like you said the configurator makes it look like you can still get that. But if the dealer order system won't accept that who knows.

Might still be worth someone trying if they order. Maybe it was a glitch.

Last edited:

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how hard it would be to add the Active Rear Locking Differential to an existing Defender (L663)? It appears to be the obvious hardware install in the rear differential or maybe a complete component change of the differential, possible wiring for the electronics in the rear diff, software change to the PIVI Pro unless it automatically recognizes the new part.

Our Defender did great with just the OEM Terrain Response on Imogene Pass, however, we quickly found it's limits at Uwharrie. I am considering adding the e-locker (if feasible) down the road as well as 35" tires, lift rods, maybe sub-frame drop, and rock rails.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how hard it would be to add the Active Rear Locking Differential to an existing Defender (L663)? It appears to be the obvious hardware install in the rear differential or maybe a complete component change of the differential, possible wiring for the electronics in the rear diff, software change to the PIVI Pro unless it automatically recognizes the new part.

Our Defender did great with just the OEM Terrain Response on Imogene Pass, however, we quickly found it's limits at Uwharrie. I am considering adding the e-locker (if feasible) down the road as well as 35" tires, lift rods, maybe sub-frame drop, and rock rails.
I think your best bet will be to wait for the ARB to become available. It’s pretty difficult to add the factory locker to the LR3 (but possible), I can’t imagine it’s gotten any easier!

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your best bet will be to wait for the ARB to become available. It’s pretty difficult to add the factory locker to the LR3 (but possible), I can’t imagine it’s gotten any easier!
That's if ARB makes a locker for the L663; would seem difficult to integrate with the Pivi Pro 4WD software?

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's if ARB makes a locker for the L663; would seem difficult to integrate with the Pivi Pro 4WD software?
Yeah, we’ll see how the aftermarket treats this platform. Hopefully it gets some support because LR put so much effort into its off-road ability. I’m sure it would be extremely difficult to integrate, but I’m not sure why you’d need to.

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we’ll see how the aftermarket treats this platform. Hopefully it gets some support because LR put so much effort into its off-road ability. I’m sure it would be extremely difficult to integrate, but I’m not sure why you’d need to.
If the aftermarket (ARB or whomever) provided an electronic locking rear differential it would need to be tied-in to to the all-terrain drive modes as the center locking differential is. The other option would be switched electronic or air locker, though those options do not make much sense in this highly software driven all terrain drive setup which already utilizes ABS, suspension, automatic center locking differential.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the aftermarket (ARB or whomever) provided an electronic locking rear differential it would need to be tied-in to to the all-terrain drive modes as the center locking differential is. The other option would be switched electronic or air locker, though those options do not make much sense in this highly software driven all terrain drive setup which already utilizes ABS, suspension, automatic center locking differential.
Well yes, you’d control it with a switch, but beyond that nothing else would be needed. While an older vehicle, the LR3 uses software to control all of the same functions and they successfully use an ARB in those. The electronics just won’t see any slippage from the back wheels and will assume there’s traction for both wheels.

GBXsport

Reaction score
i'm sure there will be aftermarket options...doubt you can easier retrofit the factory version.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut