31s on an LR4 without lift Rods??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg Seguin

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2012 LR4. Really, really like it. Have had trucks all my life, put on larger tires lift kits etc.
I want 32 or 33" tale tires minimum. The question is what lift accomplishes this with the least compromises. Do you know any supplier or any part numbers & any other mods other than the lift kit itself and new rods?

Finally what rim size and tire sizes are common and work for this. I hear 18" rims but I am not sure. I currently have factory 19's The truck still need to spend allot of time on the pavement but needs some off road capability. Larger tires that highway well, will sacrifice off road for on road stability/ride.
Any thoughts? And thank you!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2012 LR4. Really, really like it. Have had trucks all my life, put on larger tires lift kits etc.
I want 32 or 33" tale tires minimum. The question is what lift accomplishes this with the least compromises. Do you know any supplier or any part numbers & any other mods other than the lift kit itself and new rods?

Finally what rim size and tire sizes are common and work for this. I hear 18" rims but I am not sure. I currently have factory 19's The truck still need to spend allot of time on the pavement but needs some off road capability. Larger tires that highway well, will sacrifice off road for on road stability/ride.
Any thoughts? And thank you!

If you want to go big, the only real solution is the strut spacers in combination with lift rods. Both are available at Lucky 8. You'll also want a GAP Diagnostic iiD Tool to adjust the computer.

Don't go lift rods by themselves. They cause a lot of problems and aren't a solution to anything by themselves.

Here's the thing, though: the limiting factor on tire size isn't really the lift of the vehicle. It's the size of the wheel well, tires hitting the frame when you turn, etc. That requires effort.

In terms of wheels, you won't find any tires for 19" wheels other than the stock size. If you want big tires and plan to off road, 18" is the only way to fly.

Greg Seguin

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I do appreciate it. Some other questions.

I have found the strut spacer kits, 2 1/2". 18 appears to be the way to go on the rims.
I believe these have 5 x 120 bolt pattern. I want black rims.
I understand the frame is the issue. Do offset rims work to help the inner frame rubbing issue?

I am buying new rims. I want black, any recommended brand of rim?

What tire can I get in with no or little frame work, (offset rim)?
I would love 325 65 18's at 34.6 x 12.8
After that 305 x 65 x 18 at 33.6 x 12
after that 285 x 70 x 18 at 33.7 x 11.2
not thrilled about the below sizes but would work at the low end.
275 x 70 x 18 at 33.16 x 10.8
285 x 65 x 18 32.6 x 11.2

I choose these sizes as the are available in the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A. I imagine its a decent tire.

What are your thoughts

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are only a few options for wheels that fit over the LR4's brake calipers.

Compomotive and Evo Corse for aluminum, or TuffAnt for steel. There might be more here and there, but you'll have to research those.

The Terrafirma wheels require 1.25" wheel spacers. You can also run 1.25" wheel spacers and use 18" LR3 aluminum wheels.

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I do appreciate it. Some other questions.

I have found the strut spacer kits, 2 1/2". 18 appears to be the way to go on the rims.
I believe these have 5 x 120 bolt pattern. I want black rims.
I understand the frame is the issue. Do offset rims work to help the inner frame rubbing issue?

I am buying new rims. I want black, any recommended brand of rim?

What tire can I get in with no or little frame work, (offset rim)?
I would love 325 65 18's at 34.6 x 12.8
After that 305 x 65 x 18 at 33.6 x 12
after that 285 x 70 x 18 at 33.7 x 11.2
not thrilled about the below sizes but would work at the low end.
275 x 70 x 18 at 33.16 x 10.8
285 x 65 x 18 32.6 x 11.2

I choose these sizes as the are available in the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A. I imagine its a decent tire.

What are your thoughts
Biggest tires to get fit so far, are 35x12.5x18. A lot of modifying had to be done

Steve T

Reaction score
There are only a few options for wheels that fit over the LR4's brake calipers.

Compomotive and Evo Corse for aluminum, or TuffAnt for steel. There might be more here and there, but you'll have to research those.

The Terrafirma wheels require 1.25" wheel spacers. You can also run 1.25" wheel spacers and use 18" LR3 aluminum wheels.

i run MudTech 18x8.5 on US version LR4 V8 with BFG KO2 265/65R18

no rubbing no modifications. no lift, however, i do use XLifter EAS controller without rods. but it is not required to fit the wheel/tire combo i'm using.

A60E11DB-59FE-4F6B-9CF8-4455C8591DBD.jpeg

D0A07342-5DAD-41EA-AC96-C8492C732149.jpeg

733D5994-977A-46FF-98EA-E48797F5604B.jpeg

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah yes. Forgot about the Mud Techs. For the longest time, they were a mere myth in the U.S., as the guy who'd respond to emails didn't act like was all that interested in shipping them here.

CaliDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Steve T

Reaction score
Looks great!

Have a difficult time getting the wheels?

Any issues mounting the spare?

no issues. shipping from italy was $$$ but i like the end result.

spare should fit no issues, may need to remove the heat shield (as told by MudTech) but i haven't mounted it under the truck as i'm preparing to put a tire carrier on the rear bumper.

Steve T

Reaction score
Ah yes. Forgot about the Mud Techs. For the longest time, they were a mere myth in the U.S., as the guy who'd respond to emails didn't act like was all that interested in shipping them here.

there are some shipping challenges and he wants me to become a US distributor but i'm having issues with keeping the cost reasonable... it's either airfreight on a pallet (flat cost $650euros!) or shipping container by boat. longer shipping time..

weighing the options and order sizes to make it cost effective.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut