4:11 gearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NEPAROVER

Reaction score
Eventually I will be adding a 2 inch suspension lift to my 2000 Disco II.
The tires I plan on running are 265/75/16 and I will be using the cdl if needed once adding the linkage from a D1. However I have not messed around with gearing in any 4x4 I have ever owned and would like to know if I can just change out the gears in my diffs to 4:11 without doing lockers and would it be alright to do so before the lift and larger tires? If one is changing gears only is it straight forward as in pull the diffs, swap out gears and put them back or is it more involved?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4:11's work well with the 265 tire size.
What sort of wheeling will you be doing, the reason I ask is because of your statement about using the CDL if needed. Plan on using it most of the time when off road, it is easier on your drive train, tires and especially your brakes.
Here again, depending on how hard the trails are, you should plan on doing lockers cause what you have right now only has 2 spider gears, which don't hold up well on hard trails.
Is it hard to set up your gears, only if you have never done it before, you need to now how to set up the play and tolerances between the ring and pinion.

NEPAROVER

Reaction score
Thank you for the information! I am a photographer in my spare time and can spend hours out in the woodlands and have access to places that I can drive my Disco, not to do ********* off-roading but to simply get myself from point a to point b to set up and photograph landscapes and wild animals. The trails are easily handled without doing anything and the Disco stock has been great however as I expand the places I explore I would rather have it and not need it then find myself in a spot where I need it. Also I would like to find out exactly what my Disco is capable of.

I will say though that a friend of mine has 5 acres of land and allows friends to mud on one part of it so I would like to be able to keep up though the largest tires that are run by someone there has been 33's. I have actually scored because a friend of mine who is a retired mechanic and welder is going to talk me through doing any and all work on the Disco, basically he directs me and I turn wrenches. Anything he is not able to help with I have another friend who is willing to do things in exchange for a case of beer. The second guy restores muscle cars from the frame up and does everything except for painting.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9