4WD service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fly boy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I want to perform the 4WD service in my 2008 LR3 HSE, but I am not shure what parts do I need, and how difficult is to do.

In went to a workshop and they told me they need to replace a filter and other parts, honestly I don’t know anything about it so I am looking for help or any hint on what parts do I need, oil specifications, please

Thank you.

whathaway

Reaction score
Do you mean front/rear differentials and transfer case fluid service? 75K (miles) service. Plenty threads on this forum on it and at least one major LR parts vendor on the internet. Odds are your rear diff employs an electronic lock (HSE). Make sure which because it dictates which fluid is specified. Straight forward for DYI, just make sure the fill plug can be removed before opening the drain plug.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HSE trim does not imply locking rear diff...and odds are that he does NOT have one. He should certainly check though since it takes different fluid.

whathaway

Reaction score
True Houm. The Heavy Duty (HD) package was available on the SE also. Poor assumption that anyone shilling out for an HSE would also drop the additional $$$$ for the HD option. Same is true of the full size spare that comes with the HD option. Sure owners have replaced the donut with a full size. Look for the locker next to the rear diff, driver side and has a wiring harness running to it. Following gives a good primer on what is involved.

http://www.roverparts.com/resources/videos/differential-transfer-case-service-lr3/

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a 4wd service on my '06. I changed fluids in the diffs and transfer case, replaced the front and rear driveshafts, and both front hubs. I figured at 215,000 it was time. LOL.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72