4x4 sPOD or comparable power distribution suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased the ProSpeedUK Discovery 4 Front Spotlight Mounts with two TripleR-750 LazerLamps and I'm now in the process of...looking for a way to actually hook them up. I probably should've figured that out before I actually bought the lights, but here we are.

Since I know next to nothing about wiring or electrical systems I figured my best bet was the 4x4 sPOD BantamX. It seems to be a very popular (albeit pricey) option in the off-road community and is as close as you can get to a complete plug and play solution. However, I will say despite having a universal option it seems tailored (or at least more popular) for the Jeep/Yota crowd. I've tried to find out what my fellow Rover community uses in their trail-rigs, however I haven't found a good answer...or any, really.

Has anyone here installed a 4x4 sPOD on their Discovery4 and if so, are you happy with it? Where did you mount it in the engine bay?

If not but you have a power distribution set-up for your lights, what are you using?
Any update on which direction you went with switches? Djkaosone's solution is slick and similar to what we do with VW Westys, minus the Cat6, but not familiar enough with tearing into interior trim. Looks like his is basically the same solution as Spod. That BantamX at $900+ is crazy money...:stupid:
Edit-Found a post by member Perseus using a Switch Pros for nearly half the money. This could be a great option. https://store.switchpros.com/sp-9100-switch-panel-power-system/

Last edited:

Oddboy

Reaction score
Any update on which direction you went with switches? Djkaosone's solution is slick and similar to what we do with VW Westys, minus the Cat6, but not familiar enough with tearing into interior trim. Looks like his is basically the same solution as Spod. That BantamX at $900+ is crazy money...:stupid:
Edit-Found a post by member Perseus using a Switch Pros for nearly half the money. This could be a great option. https://store.switchpros.com/sp-9100-switch-panel-power-system/

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on either - but I'm leaning toward the SP-9100 primarily due to the cost difference. Once I do the install I'll make sure to swing back around and update this post with how it went and what I think.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0896QBR9B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Overall, assembly and quality seem on par for price. The buttons have a very positive clicky. I'm thinking of mounting the box in my spare battery location as I have no immediate plans to go that route. Speaking of house battery, this Ecoflow combo seems crazy unbeatable for those that want more flexibility than a rig-mounted house battery provides:

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s how I ended up. Obviously not the level of @djkaosone switch panel but it should work for my needs. For $90, great solution.
9A0082E3-36D8-405D-AB1F-45B3AA6BCE79.jpeg

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Looks great! Honestly I had a similar 6 gang pod, but had no idea where to mount it.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0896QBR9B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Overall, assembly and quality seem on par for price. The buttons have a very positive clicky. I'm thinking of mounting the box in my spare battery location as I have no immediate plans to go that route. Speaking of house battery, this Ecoflow combo seems crazy unbeatable for those that want more flexibility than a rig-mounted house battery provides:

Do you know if this thing carries any additional functionality in terms of activating switches? I think the switchpro, for example, can activate a "switched" device when some other event occurs. Such as when the dome lights come on.

I'm pretty sure it's how this Toyota dealer (that modifies Land Cruisers) got the rock/puddle lights to come on when the car is unlocked or the door is opened.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm no I don’t think so. Just your normal off and on. At least as far as my wiring ability goes. Given the age and mileage of my rig, I went ahead and drilled through the dash to run the cable. That cover piece is $150 should I never need to replace it.

glennmatthew

Reaction score
I purchased the ProSpeedUK Discovery 4 Front Spotlight Mounts with two TripleR-750 LazerLamps and I'm now in the process of...looking for a way to actually hook them up. I probably should've figured that out before I actually bought the lights, but here we are.

Since I know next to nothing about wiring or electrical systems I figured my best bet was the 4x4 sPOD BantamX. It seems to be a very popular (albeit pricey) option in the off-road community and is as close as you can get to a complete plug and play solution. However, I will say despite having a universal option it seems tailored (or at least more popular) for the Jeep/Yota crowd. I've tried to find out what my fellow Rover community uses in their trail-rigs, however I haven't found a good answer...or any, really.

Has anyone here installed a 4x4 sPOD on their Discovery4 and if so, are you happy with it? Where did you mount it in the engine bay?

If not but you have a power distribution set-up for your lights, what are you using?

Hey Oddboy,

I was looking at getting the same setup, did you ever get them installed and if so; how do you like them?

I was also curious where you got them from; I was trying to purchase them directly from Prospeed on Black Friday but had issues with getting them shipped to the US. I have reached out to them several times but can't seem to get a hold of them.

Thanks,

Glenn

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut