5.0 v8 timing chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlonesty

Reaction score
I was advised at my 150,000 mile service that my timing chain was making some noise and was advised to do it sooner rather than later. I had time to shop the repair/replacement and had it done in Portland where the Pacific Coast Rover Club VP is the main LR mechanic. So, it was for both reasons.

wthammett

Reaction score
Almost 180k on mine and never done the timing chain or tensioners. I’ve heard them ‘clacking away’ upon start up but it’s always been intermittent. Good luck

dlonesty

Reaction score
Mine are finished. I routinely go to areas that is far away from services. It's a peace of mind decision. Now, I feel very safe.

aakempvt

Reaction score
55k had them done at the dealer under warranty. Very brief chatter on startup. I was thrilled they did it. Oil changed every 5k miles so I’m skeptical it has anything to do with oil.

I think the failure at low miles has actually been the tensioner ratchet mechanism which is designed to keep tension when the oil pressure is low, ie at startup. Higher miles could be the plastic guides wearing. It ran perfectly outside of startup. Runs great now at 80k miles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA