5.0 v8 timing chains

Discussion in 'LR4' started by flipster103, Nov 18, 2019.

1. dlonesty

dlonesty Active Member

I was advised at my 150,000 mile service that my timing chain was making some noise and was advised to do it sooner rather than later. I had time to shop the repair/replacement and had it done in Portland where the Pacific Coast Rover Club VP is the main LR mechanic. So, it was for both reasons.

2. Jimmy Brooks

Jimmy Brooks Active Member

My 2010 LR4 has 110k on the clock and I’ve never had the timing chain done. Guess I’ve gotten lucky

3. wthammett

wthammett Well-Known Member

Almost 180k on mine and never done the timing chain or tensioners. I’ve heard them ‘clacking away’ upon start up but it’s always been intermittent. Good luck

4. dlonesty

dlonesty Active Member

Mine are finished. I routinely go to areas that is far away from services. It's a peace of mind decision. Now, I feel very safe.

5. aakempvt

aakempvt Active Member

55k had them done at the dealer under warranty. Very brief chatter on startup. I was thrilled they did it. Oil changed every 5k miles so I’m skeptical it has anything to do with oil.

I think the failure at low miles has actually been the tensioner ratchet mechanism which is designed to keep tension when the oil pressure is low, ie at startup. Higher miles could be the plastic guides wearing. It ran perfectly outside of startup. Runs great now at 80k miles.