About to Buy a LR4??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
There is no way the dealer is getting anywhere close to $56K or $57K on this vehicle. Just ain't happening, plain and simple.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the contrary, if played right, the dealer will make $3-4K on the front end, and about the same on the back end. Used cars are the high gross makers, as no one (but the dealer) knows how much they " have in it" (due to incentives, factory-to-dealer allowances and a myriad of other things). New cars are low-profit makers, because invoices are widely available

This is 100% true, dealers make a killing on used cars, magins for new is min.

As for the used-LUX at 58K, that seems a little high IMO. What's the book value? Not black book value either.

Last edited:

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the contrary, if played right, the dealer will make $3-4K on the front end, and about the same on the back end. Used cars are the high gross makers, as no one (but the dealer) knows how much they " have in it" (due to incentives, factory-to-dealer allowances and a myriad of other things). New cars are low-profit makers, because invoices are widely available

Invoices are only the beginning of the story. The financial relationship between the dealer and manufacturer is so complex that it is nearly impossible to figure out how much a car really "costs" the dealer. You have to add in items such as "holdbacks," not to mention the warranty program, marketing allowances, incentives, etc., etc., etc.

I've represented car manufacturers and seen the accounting records with particular dealers -- and I still can't figure it out.

My advice: find the car you want and negotiate the best price you can. Don't worry about trying to decipher the dealer's byzantine finances.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Invoices are only the beginning of the story. The financial relationship between the dealer and manufacturer is so complex that it is nearly impossible to figure out how much a car really "costs" the dealer. You have to add in items such as "holdbacks," not to mention the warranty program, marketing allowances, incentives, etc., etc., etc.

I've represented car manufacturers and seen the accounting records with particular dealers -- and I still can't figure it out.

My advice: find the car you want and negotiate the best price you can. Don't worry about trying to decipher the dealer's byzantine finances.

Well said!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9