Adaptive headlights or just xenon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the physical differences between just Xenon headlights and adaptive headlights. We were told ours had the adaptive headlights, but sitting in my driveway, i turned the wheels and the headlights were stationary. I am not dissatisfied about the headlights, they are great, but wish we could have gotten adaptive.

I guess it was a trade off because the dealer didn't realize the truck had homelink.

J.D.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to be moving for the adaptive headlights to swivel. Even then, the movement is slight and you will usually notice it most in a fairly enclosed environment - such as a ramp inside a parking structure as you steer. If they work, when you first start the engine in your dark garage and the auto lights fire up, you will see them do a little self-calibration dance, in and out and up and down.

I always thought that our HID headlights are fantastic, but the adaptive feature is over-hyped technology. They may help a bit on dark and twisty roads, but the motors inside the clusters that provide the swiveling cause the headlights to vibrate quite a bit when driving over broken pavement, and they are also quite delicate. I broke both of mine, probably when off-roading, and it took me a good year before I even noticed they wouldn't swivel anymore. I guess I don't miss them much. :biggrin:

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info. I guess I'll pay more attention when they first turn on.

As I said, the stock headlights are some of the best I have seen, so it's not a huge issue. I hate bouncing headlights when headed down the highway, espeically since there is a fine line where the cut off, making it very noticeable. So I am not heart broken if I do not have them.

J.D.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72