Adding trans fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I discovered a leak in the trans hoses that run to the rad.

It's not a gusher, but I am concerned that I am leaking tranny fluid. Ideally in the spring time I'd like to change the plastic pan for a metal one, but I don't want to get into that in the winter time.

I'd like to see if I can 'top off' the trans fluid, or maybe just d/c the hoses, spit out a bunch of fluid at the front, and replace with new fluid.

I've read the LR guide on adding fluid, and it simply says to 'add fluid'

What gives? How do I actually add fluid to the tranny, and if it's through the coolant intake hose, is there a danger of ingesting air into the system that way?

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so just top it up like a diff?

Basically I keep the truck running, and add fluid through that hole. Which is odd because in the LR literature it says to close this and then add fluid. Super confusing.

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have an IID tool or similar diagnostic tool that will allow you to monitor transmission fluid temperature? If so, I'll give the basic procedure for filling from "empty" and for topping off (which is what you want to do).

Topping off:
1. Hook your diagnostic tool of choice up to the car and monitor the transmission temperature
2. Start the engine while everything is cold.
3. AFTER starting the engine, remove the fill plug.
4. Pump fluid into the transmission until it begins to seep out of the fill plug hole. At this point, the tranny should be overfilled slightly due to the temperature of the fluid.
5. Shift slowly through your gears from P through D and back to P, stopping for 2 seconds in each gear.
6. Continue to monitor your transmission fluid temperature. Once it starts to warm up, you should get more fluid draining from your fill plug hole as the fluid starts to expand. Once you get between 30 and 40 degrees C (that range will go fairly quickly), put the fill plug back in the hole and tighten. That should be it!

To fill from empty (similar, but a bit different):
1. Hook your diagnostic tool of choice up to the car and monitor the transmission temperature
2. Remove transmission fill plug
3. Fill transmission up until fluid begins to come out of the fill hole.
4. Start car and run for 20-30 seconds, then shut off.
5. Fill transmission up again until fluid begins to come out of the hole.
8. Start car and let run
9. Pump fluid into the transmission until it begins to seep out of the fill plug hole. At this point, the tranny should be overfilled slightly due to the temperature of the fluid.
10. Shift slowly through your gears from P through D and back to P, stopping for 2 seconds in each gear.
11. Continue to monitor your transmission fluid temperature. Once it starts to warm up, you should get more fluid draining from your fill plug hole as the fluid starts to expand. Once you get between 30 and 40 degrees C (that range will go fairly quickly), put the fill plug back in the hole and tighten.

Hope this helps.

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, followed your steps, the only exception being I have a hand held IR gun rather than an interface tool.

The fluid pump I was using has the pump on the fill end :p which was a huge pain in the ass.

Otherwise, it went very well!

Many thanks, after doing it once I feel much better about the whole thing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM