Advice on buying a used land rover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baden

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been on the search for a used land rover, specifically a range rover or discovery. I like both in terms of design and I understand the discovery is probably more capable but is there any opinions on which one has a better reputation for reliability? I've looked at 13' discovery and 11' range rover. Any thought helps!

Thank you
Baden

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First I see you are in Ohio, Nathan down in La Grange KY is probably the best resource for any thing rover within several hours or even states drive. With that said, it really depends on what you want out of your Land Rover and how far you are willing to go to get a good one. Like any modern high end vehicle each and everyone one is different and may have different issues.

If you need to haul 4 total people and a bunch of stuff the Discovery is a better option.

If you you just want pure luxury, but don't mind some of the costs that may come with the repairs then the RR is excellent, I do not recommend the supercharged V8 as they tend to have very expensive issues.

Baden

Reaction score
Thanks Joey,

I'm not looking for pure luxury. Thats why I think the discovery would be better for me. I have been having a hard time finding a 13' discovery though . I've done some research and have heard that model year performs better for some owners in terms of reliability. Have you had any other good experience with other model years that you would recommend looking at?

Thank you,
Baden

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
When it comes to Rovers of any year, I think it can all come down to who took care of it last. I had a 1997 Discovery that had almost zero issues in the 10 years I drove it. The only issues were either prior owner didn't take care of it well or I beat the snot out of it off roading, causing the frame to rust out. They were supposed to be horribly unreliable, I drove it everywhere and it never left me stranded.

I had a 2002 discovery that need head gaskets done, but I had zero other issues.

Newer stuff again all comes down to who took care of it last. Nathan had a 2013 or 2014 come in a while back the engine was seized up. Found out the person that owned it for the last year never checked or changed the oil. You can only go so far without oil. Can't blame the Rover. Several other issues with customers come in with check engine lights on for weeks then find out something major is wrong.

I Recently bought a 2002 Lotus Esprit that I drove 3700 miles across the country from Portland OR then drove it around home for another month or so. Oil pick up tube broke off and I am now rebuilding an engine. It doesn't matter the make model or year to be honest. Other than the Supercharged V8... don't buy one.

If you want a good rover and the options you want, give Nathan a call, that is all he sells is Rovers and has been doing nothing but Rovers for the last 20 years I have known him. No I don't not make a dime if you go to him, we are just very good friends. We do sell D2 horn buttons and we make our own LR3/LR4/RRS lift sets, but we are not in the auto business together.

His info is in my Signature.

Clyde_Horne

Reaction score
Baden - thanks for the question!
Joey - thanks for your informative answer. I have one follow up for you. I'm looking for a 2013 RRSSC under 100K miles. Do you have an understanding of what the major mechanical concerns are?
I'm aware of some cooling issues, and air suspension issues. Any others?

Thanks!

Clyde

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Clyde,

The biggest issue with the Supercharged V8 of that time is the timing chain issue. It isn't a matter of if, but when it will go. If you take care of the problem before it gets bad, it isn't crazy expensive, after the fact it can be very cost prohibitive, but either way it isn't cheap. Here is a video of what can happen.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA