Air Suspension Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Helpful info @f1racer328 . After having slept on it a bit, I'm going to make him find it. I'm not going to lose an expensive key fob due to his carelessness. I can wait a day or two if that's what it takes. It will be good for him too. There has to be a meaningful consequence for practices to change.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can start and drive it without your spare key fob it has to be somewhat close to the driver in my experience.
I sometimes put my key in a hydration bag which goes in the trunk; I don't have any problems with this location! Sorry, not what you want to hear. It's good to hear you're beyond the suspension issues...

Did you find any ways to locate the key via a scanning type tool, I read RFID but are there any other leads? What a pain in the a**.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Key found. He had to pull the driver's seat and it was tucked way up into the rails. Eddie is a good guy and is willing to work on my LR4 without making a big deal about it and at a reasonable rate. Turns out it was his shop hand that didn't follow protocol. Normally they would keep the key with the invoice.

Thanks to @Rover Range for holding my hand during this ordeal. I sent him a private message and he was all over it. His take turned out to be spot on, "Probably have to pull the front seat." And thanks to everyone else for your support as well. I'll shoot some pics of where the key landed and also one of the original Hitachi. The thing looks like the outside of it was lubed with baby rash ointment and then dusted with cream-colored baby powder. I'm amazed it ran at all.

Attachments

• Original Hitachi.jpg
    Original Hitachi.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20230613_135212.jpg
    IMG_20230613_135212.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20230613_135226.jpg
    IMG_20230613_135226.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 43
  • Hidden Key Fob.jpg
    Hidden Key Fob.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, been playing around with the new cheapo "Hitachi-style" compressor. It's louder, for sure. Seems to be engaged and running longer as well. But it does eventually shut off. Occasionally, I will hear an aggressive burst of air being released. Seems like it happens when it is making adjustments. Overall, I would say it's performance is "crude, but effective". The main thing is that I haven't been getting any suspension faults (so far) and it is allowing the vehicle to raise and lower as intended (again, so far). 99% of the time, I'm in normal mode. It's nice to know I can do access or off-road modes if I want. It also gives me the opportunity to tear into the original Hitachi and take a stab as servicing it. From what I've seen, it doesn't look all that hard and it would be good to have a backup in the event I need it.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you do service it (I didn't do the piston part of mine, just the desiccant), I would recommend just buying a dehydrator unit, not the just the replacement desiccant kit. The reason being that the push to connect fittings on the cover of the dehydrator on my unit no longer seal really well against the hose, I suspect there's an o-ring in there that's aged and no longer compliant.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Key found. He had to pull the driver's seat and it was tucked way up into the rails. Eddie is a good guy and is willing to work on my LR4 without making a big deal about it and at a reasonable rate. Turns out it was his shop hand that didn't follow protocol. Normally they would keep the key with the invoice.

Thanks to @Rover Range for holding my hand during this ordeal. I sent him a private message and he was all over it. His take turned out to be spot on, "Probably have to pull the front seat." And thanks to everyone else for your support as well. I'll shoot some pics of where the key landed and also one of the original Hitachi. The thing looks like the outside of it was lubed with baby rash ointment and then dusted with cream-colored baby powder. I'm amazed it ran at all.
Hey - at least you made some money :)

1686743610365.png

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know. I wasn't there when they removed the seat and found the key fob, but I doubt they vacuumed up those crumbs either.

My sense of relief was indescribable when I learned they found the key fob. You can't imagine what a PITA it would have been to get the situation sorted if they weren't able to find it. Plus, the knowledge that the key fob was "right there" (it had to be) would have driven me off the deep end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72