Air suspension reliability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoorLifeDecisions

Reaction score
Just wanted to gauge how the air suspension has been holding up for others on here? I have a 2014 with 100k and it's been fine, but curious about others with older, or even newer with more (rougher) miles. Is it something to be expected to go in the near future or they generally are pretty stout and don't warrant a worry.

I don't know how indicative Doug Demuro's experience has been, but his L322 FFRR went through a lot with the air susp. Albeit that was an older generation vehicle.

maxresdefault.jpg

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The air suspension is reliable. Air springs need replaced the same as shocks and struts need replaced.

Although the Range Rover had moved on from the BMW engine, Demuro's Range still had BMW electronics, which plagued them until around 2009. I would also trust my dog before Demuro for actual car advice. His reviews seem interesting until he gets to a car you actually know something about, and then you realize all the stuff he either misses or gets wrong. That said, his carmax Range is what it is. Issue is that Demuro couldn't be trusted to explain why it is what it is.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would concur that it's generally reliable. I replaced my front struts/bags with Arnotts but that's because the struts were worn despite the airbags being fine. At 110k, it has otherwise been rock solid.

Rainer

Reaction score
My 2012 D4 has done 192000km and air suspension still solid, ie no drop in height with car parked for a week

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The air suspension is reliable. Air springs need replaced the same as shocks and struts need replaced.

Although the Range Rover had moved on from the BMW engine, Demuro's Range still had BMW electronics, which plagued them until around 2009. I would also trust my dog before Demuro for actual car advice. His reviews seem interesting until he gets to a car you actually know something about, and then you realize all the stuff he either misses or gets wrong. That said, his carmax Range is what it is. Issue is that Demuro couldn't be trusted to explain why it is what it is.

He actually knows a lot, but remember he is a TV personality. Nothing generates more clicks on youtube than a land rover video that mentions (un)reliability.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very reliable. Replaced the compressor around 80K miles because it got slow and really loud. Sill on the original air bags/struts at 136K miles.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
2013 LR4 85K miles, bought new, easy life, suspension still factory perfect.
2016 LR4 55K miles, bought used at 49K, may have had some stress from previous owner based on repairs we have completed. Suspension currently raises on the slow side, threw a suspension idiot light for 2 days after a day off-roading but it has now been off for 2 days. Probably the compressor., fingers crossed it stays happy..

equalizer

Reaction score
Suspension currently raises on the slow side, threw a suspension idiot light for 2 days after a day off-roading but it has now been off for 2 days. Probably the compressor., fingers crossed it stays happy..
How long should it take to raise say from lowest to highest?

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very reliable, however, still will fail eventually (just as coil springs will sag and shocks will leak).

The front air suspension seems to fail first and at/above 90,000-100,000+ since they're made of rubber which will eventually crack, dry rot, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut