Alignment issue & tire wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Have any of you had an alignment issue with your new truck? I had a steering wheel vibration. The dealership diagnosed as an alignment issue and did alignment at no cost.

They also rotated the tires at no cost. Looking the tires however I see uneven wear on what used to be two fronts tires. By uneven I mean extra wear on the outside edge of the tire.

Can misalignment do that?

Anybody with similar issue?

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That type of wear and the vibration you felt is exactly what a bad alignment will do. It's nice they took car of it for free. It's normally well over a hundred to get that done. I haven't had any of those issues but then again I don't even have 800miles on mine yet haha. Still rotate them regularly but I would keep the ones with the outside edge wear on the back during winter and move them up front in the summer. That edge is important for steering in snow/slush/ice so you'll want your best ones up front.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, had that issue earlier this year and got an alignment done to fix. What stunk was by the time I figured it out, my tires were well down the road of wearing out extremely unevenly. I ended up replacing my tire in August with Michelins and it's been very smooth ever since.

Regarding the vibrations, the guy at discount tires said the vibration issue could be due to the crappy contis having belt separation. Apparently, continental tires are very expensive crap. All I know is I don't have vibration issues anymore after getting the michelins. Plus, the ride is unbelievable better.

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, had that issue earlier this year and got an alignment done to fix. What stunk was by the time I figured it out, my tires were well down the road of wearing out extremely unevenly. I ended up replacing my tire in August with Michelins and it's been very smooth ever since.

Regarding the vibrations, the guy at discount tires said the vibration issue could be due to the crappy contis having belt separation. Apparently, continental tires are very expensive crap. All I know is I don't have vibration issues anymore after getting the michelins. Plus, the ride is unbelievable better.

Any chance LR might have paid for it? I understand it is a wear and tear item but if they wear out because of manufacturing defect or problem, it should get covered under warranty - wouldn't it?

Just exploring options.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have a point but I didn't take it up with them. I've done some off roading and at the time, thought it may have been that.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
13000+ miles on my LR4 when I got rid of it and the tires looked great. No uneven wear and I experenced no vibration what so ever.

I had mine offroad a couple of times and everything must have stayed within spec.

Rob

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good to hear crewcabrob. I hope the rest of us have the same experience. I'm already looking into what tires I'll replace these with. The only thing I know for sure is that it won't be any continental tire.

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good to hear crewcabrob. I hope the rest of us have the same experience. I'm already looking into what tires I'll replace these with. The only thing I know for sure is that it won't be any continental tire.

My bimmer came with continentals also. I replaced them with Michellin sports and couldn't be happier with them. I guess continental must give a huge discount to car manufacturers!

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, I put Conti DWS extreems on my wifes Lexus and couldn't be happier with them. They are very quiet and hold the road like crazy! In fact, I think they hold the road better when its wet out.

I have never seen a Conti truck tire that I liked. I have Conti tires on my MTB and love them too. But as far as the OEM Conti tires on the LR4; they were OK but nothing special. They rode well and were fairly quiet, but snow traction, mud traction and looks were not great. They were just not what I wanted to have.

Rob

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snow traction is a MUST up here where mother nature insists on setting snowfall records every year! I'll see what happens when we get our first big one and if it's awful, I'll have no choice but to replace them with something better right away and sell the stockers. Safety, confidence and control are worth more than what a new set of tires will cost me. Still frustrating though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99