All-Terrain Tires. Let's have a conversation.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have experiance with the BFG AT's. The tread compound is fairly soft so I have lost many chunks of tire on the trials (mainly the rocky trails). They track great off road but leave a little to be desired in the sloppier conditions and mud. There is a reduction in onroad performance with these tires as well. I can report that there is no way you can safely run a tire chain on 265/65 r18 tires. You just don't have the clearance. With my rig riding on the bump stops they do clear until the backend starts to hop, then they just kiss the buldge in the front of the rear wheel wells. Clearance is not an issue with this tire at all on mine!!!

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan I think you are confusing the Yoko with the Toyo Open Country AT, the latter being very similar to the Nitto.

Yeap you are right! I am thinking of the Toyo's

Mtnboy

Reaction score
Hello all,

After a lot of reading and looking, I went with the Goodyear Silent Armors in the 265,60r18 size and also bought a full sized spare. It fit with just a little to spare. I went with these because I live in the northwest and in the snow and mud. I like the ability to readily clear mud and snow from the channels. I talked to a number of people who had them on their pick ups and every one spoke well of them.

They ride really well, have good on road traction and did pretty well on the local off road play ground. I'll post this winter and let you know how they did this winter.

If any one is interested, I have 2 more 18 inch rims i am looking to sell for spare tires. They are the 10 spoke alloys off of a '06 v8 se.

Cheers

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good choice with the silent armors. I bought them in that size when they first came out, but the first batch, including mine, had some balancing issues. The new sets should have that solved. The kevlar sidewalls are great for airing down pretty low while still not risking any punctures. You can have them down to 20-23psi on rocks and be fine. I don't who told you that they readily clear mud, but having own them for the past 4 years and 50k miles, I can tell you that's not the case. Their only weak point is mud, they cake up easily and quickly. What's good though is that they do wear like iron.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about these. E rated, 10 ply. Kelly Safari TSR. Sort of a Mt-At hybrid. Comes in 275/65-18. Very much like the GY Duratracs.

Last edited:

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about these. E rated, 10 ply. Kelly Safari TSR. Sort of a Mt-At hybrid. Comes in 275/65-18. Very much like the GY Duratracs.

While they are an awesome looking tire, a 275/65/18 is to larger a diameter at 32.1". You will certainly get rubbing with those.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score

:tongue::tongue::tongue: Those are AWESOME, totally would consider them for the next set of tires.

Bigs,
How big do you want to go? I have the 275/65 R18 + Rod mod, and they do rub occasionally in the normal spots, but its nothing to worry about really.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
General AT's will be released in a few months in 255/55/19 to compete with GoodYear MTR in this size segment.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72