Aluminum crossovers exist now! (maybe)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the likelihood that the o-rings fail on this version? I would be inclined to put them on the next time I’m due.

Also just thinking, a cheaper/easier method to me would be an aluminum adapter that goes into the block but accepts a molded coolant hose. Then have aluminum adapters to connect to the current hoses. This method would allow access (with an extension) to a banjo clamp at the block without removal of the SC.
Interesting idea, but I'm trying to visualize how would you mount that to the block? With either the factory piece or this piece you have three bolts holding the structure down, so it stays flat. With only one bolt per side I'd wonder if one side of each connection would tend to lift, breaking the seal of the o-ring.

In terms of the metal version, I guess I'd also worry less about some seeping from the o-ring versus having the plastic split and dump all the coolant in 60 seconds.

I'm just under 50K and going to show these metal version to my mechanic next time I'm in to get his thoughts...

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting idea, but I'm trying to visualize how would you mount that to the block? With either the factory piece or this piece you have three bolts holding the structure down, so it stays flat. With only one bolt per side I'd wonder if one side of each connection would tend to lift, breaking the seal of the o-ring.
In my mind it would mount just like the stock piece; the difference would be that the external part would kinda mirror the part that goes into the block. It would be a couple of more pieces, but the red part would be the exposed end of the blue parts.

Just the thought of more rubber hoses sounds cheaper than all aluminum and more reliable than plastic. It may would look “sloppier” with multiple unions, but couldn’t really look worse than the other coolant sections by the thermostat that has a bunch in a short space. I’m no engineer, just thinking out loud; I’m also not good with photoshop or any design software to put my idea in a visual format….

Attachments

• D01190C3-75F3-4E08-AACD-E05C0558BEE9.jpeg
    D01190C3-75F3-4E08-AACD-E05C0558BEE9.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 46

cjm41

Reaction score
I just did the crossovers in my 2014 (wrapped the project up tonight after running into some issues with cheap plastic fittings in the water pump).

I’d be reluctant to jump on this until others have used it.

I’m at 87k miles now, first time rear has been done (it was leaking). The front had been done by the previous owner (updated seamless pipe) but I went ahead and replaced it again anyway.

Figure in 30-40k more miles I’ll be yanking the supercharger back off for a rebuild. I’m sure the verdict on these will be in by then.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I spent some time looking at these and I actually see two different versions, from different sellers on E-Bay.

One version looks to be an exact match for the new style parts I have in my garage.
The upper fits down into the lower, with one o-ring, there are two piece parts.
These parts, if the photos are accurate, have no identifiers cast into them.
Source EuroAMP, Houston, TX
1653948786244.png

The other version has three piece parts. The upper and lower butt up against each other and inside there is a nip*ple with 2 o-rings. Sealing at the upper and lower.
These parts, if the photos are accurate, are cast and they say Ford (FoMoCo)
Source several vendors on E-Bay.
1653948702239.png

IF I do this, I am leaning toward the Ford parts with the nip*ple inside and the two o-rings.
From our collective knowledge and opinion, what do you think?

Thanks

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do both through eBay have a return ability? If so, maybe buy both and then compare all three and let us know……not a cheap way of doing it but if able to return then not bad.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent some time looking at these and I actually see two different versions, from different sellers on E-Bay.

One version looks to be an exact match for the new style parts I have in my garage.
The upper fits down into the lower, with one o-ring, there are two piece parts.
These parts, if the photos are accurate, have no identifiers cast into them.
Source EuroAMP, Houston, TX
View attachment 22219

The other version has three piece parts. The upper and lower butt up against each other and inside there is a nip*ple with 2 o-rings. Sealing at the upper and lower.
These parts, if the photos are accurate, are cast and they say Ford (FoMoCo)
Source several vendors on E-Bay.
View attachment 22218

IF I do this, I am leaning toward the Ford parts with the nip*ple inside and the two o-rings.
From our collective knowledge and opinion, what do you think?

Thanks
The second pic you have shows the "Y" pipe having more of a bend to it, almost ending up perpendicular instead of parallel.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems odd to me that they made both considering JLR updated the 3 piece design to a 2 piece. If it were me I’d go 2 piece; that’s what my new pipes are and that’s 1 less o-ring to fail or pinch on install.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I did not know that the "new" design was 2-piece and that the "old" design was 3-piece.
Given that, I am now leaning toward the 2-piece.

Anyway, that vendor for the 2-piece setup is here in Houston, about 45 minutes away from me across town (on a good day).
They are the originators of the aluminum 2-piece and they have contracted with a Chinese manufacturer to make these specifically for them.
They claim that they have sold hundreds of these and no issues have surfaced.

They are open to me stopping in and taking a look at the parts before I purchase (or not).
I think that I will stop over either today or tomorrow.

I will keep everyone informed....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA