Am I correct in assuming that the LR4 key fob is not waterproof?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the LR3 brochure it was noted that the LR3 key fob was waterproof down to 70 feet.

Our family does an annual trip to a water park and I used to just put the LR3 key fob in a zip pocket on my water shorts. But looking at the LR4 key fob there are tiny gaps around the buttons that do not look water-tight.

Anybody here have experience with getting the LR4 key fob wet? I'm thinking I should go to REI and get a waterproof pouch for the key fob.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way it is waterproof. I don't know for sure but would be shocked if it was. The buttons are not integrated into the covering like the LR3 key, and the sliding compartment for the physical key looks to have gaps to the housing where the battery and circuits are.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming. I don't want to turn the "smart key" into a wet and dumb key that leaves us stranded.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a sealed pouch Paul, the LR4 fob (both old and new style) is splash proof at best, but definitely not waterproof, unlike the LR3 "brick".

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 2010 (old style) fob is considered "water resistant". The later MY fob seems like it is much more susceptible to water damage.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo