Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is even scarier than that is the fact that many used LR4's for sale have those stock tires on them, meaning the owners/leasers simply put on the same tires again (and again in some cases based on mileage and how long those tires last).
90% of the used rovers on market are either puff mobiles or the dealer trades and they will just slap OEM rubber on them. Mine had 24k miles on it when I bought with brand new OEM contis. The originals probably still had life on them but dealer does what dealer does.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is even scarier than that is the fact that many used LR4's for sale have those stock tires on them, meaning the owners/leasers simply put on the same tires again (and again in some cases based on mileage and how long those tires last).

After owning LR3/4 for about 13.5 years (with running LR4' stock contis on my LR3 as the replacement set for its OEM goodyears) and observing the tire' performance over the years (braking, cornering, wet/dry, summer/wintery/snowy conditions), and now running sets of TerrainContacts and WRG3, the stock conti was by far LR' worst tire choice for LR4.

In fact, during wintery conditions (wet/snow or dry), its downright dangerous to be driving a near 6000 lbs (with driver only) LR3/4 on those tires. And same goes for the goodyears that the LR3 came wearing. Have had narrow escapes with those on my LR3 during below freezing conditions. Of course at the time I didnt know what had caused that.

Not sure how LR' lawyers get away with all this.

...but dealer does what dealer does.

Dealer only cares about liability and simplifying things for themselves so they can say: "Really? Can't be the tires as this is the same brand/model tire that came from the factory on all LR4s."

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Some people don't care about tires. At 25K miles on her LR4, my neighbor asked me what tires to get since her OE Contis were bald. I told her WRG3's which she bought and remarked that they were great in winter. At 50K miles she put on a set of OE Contis because the Nokian dealer is half an hour away and it was more convenient to have the dealer install the new tires. Go figure.

I drove by the dealer the other day and parked in the front row were 8 used LR4's. Based on the wheels I think they were all base or HSE models, probably lease vehicles turned in. I bet most had a fresh set of Contis on them.

Last edited:

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of the 1% of LR4 owners who actually care about the tires on their vehicle, 99% of them are posting on this thread [emoji851] The rest, are, well, just putting on what they are told by dealer/tire shop.

CaliDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems as if we LR4 lovers are getting a faithful replacement... especially with regards to the wheel and tire packages

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually wonder if it might be an LR4 body (with some foam on the roof, hood, and sides) on whatever the new chassis is.... then they can have a total reveal without anything leaking...

uh, no. They would be testing it in near production mode at this time, not a mule version.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure some of you have caught wind of "The Last Overland" on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/thelastoverland/

https://www.lastoverland.com/

In 1955, a group of guys drove from London to Singapore, starting with two Series I Land Rovers but finishing with one. It's been promoted as one of the first vehicle-based "overland expeditions." "The Last Overland" is going to be them making the same trip, only in reverse, with one of the original drivers and a few new people. That trip starts on August 25.

On their latest Instragram post, they state that the original Series I is going to be accompanied by "2 other Land Rovers."

https://www.instagram.com/p/BypKzT7hU7L/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Now, I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd bet that the 2 others are going to be the new Defender, and this might even be a great event for a full reveal.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now, I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd bet that the 2 others are going to be the new Defender, and this might even be a great event for a full reveal.

I bet you're right. And thanks for the heads up on this IG feed. I had seen references to it (probably via @landroverphotoalbum) but am now following along for the ride. Should be pretty cool.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM