Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to ID the tires they're running in Africa? I haven't looked closely at that yet in the shots we've seen.

Just looking at the tread, they look like Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrains.

2020-land-rover-defender-testing-in-kenya.jpg

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...idewall=Blackwall&partnum=65TR0WATA&tab=Sizes

However, the size I would guess they would be (265/50/20) are a weak load rating. If you go up one size to 265/60/20, those are E-rated tires, but the ones in the photos don't really look like 32.5" tires to me.

Incidentally, this shot also makes it look like the new Defender is still wearing some camo cladding (and not just a wrap) on the back, to each side of the rear door. Either that, or it's the rear light fixture.

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looking at the tread, they look like Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrains.

Thanks for the tire ID. I was a little surprised in reading up on the specs of the tire that according to Goodyear, this tire is designed for 80% on- and 20% off-road use. I assume that the tire was still a good fit for patrolling the African plains (flat, fairly consistent surface, not much mud although they got some wading time in there). Just some observations that may also speak to the capabilities of the truck.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the tire from the mule in Utah. Notice the production date code simply says LR.

View attachment 9668

Lol. Of course Land Rover will make that the stock tire size. Tirerack lists exactly zero tires in that size.

But I guess there are a few manufacturers who make an E-Rated all-terrain in 265/60/20, which isn't too much bigger.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I suppose we will know when the Defender is getting close to landing here when we see at least one tire available in this size in the US. Otherwise a 275/55/20 will be a near identical size that would fit close to the same wheel width range. I imagine both sizes could be stock options depending on what version of the Defender is being made (off-road oriented or luxury oriented).

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. Of course Land Rover will make that the stock tire size. Tirerack lists exactly zero tires in that size.

Yeah, just plain ridiculous. Its like as if they are intentionally trying to make it difficult for the potential owners, or is it that like other things, this decision is also to appease the lazy dealerships so they can make a buck by owners being forced to come to them for their overpriced tire replacements due to lack of options out there.

It would be one thing if LR chose a specific and rare tire size for engineering reasons and/or if they would work with a manufacturer to design a quality OEM tire(s) with specific specs suited for LR vehicles (TerrainContact would have been an example with less aggressive look for being a comfortable on/offroad OEM tire and for broader appeal), but this lazy bunch has no real reasoning here for such rare size that would benefit their products or their customers.

If this crew can go as far as slapping the **** below-contact-grade, rough riding, contis that came stock on LR4, literally destroying the entire ride quality of the vehicle (coupled with its firmer suspension setup), they are capable of doing anything. I am done being surprised by them.

I mean, its like, did anyone even bother doing a single test drive on LR4 with the chosen stock contis after the bean counters upstairs determined those to be destined for NA market as they deemed those to be the most profit making rubber/vendor option?

Last edited:

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is even scarier than that is the fact that many used LR4's for sale have those stock tires on them, meaning the owners/leasers simply put on the same tires again (and again in some cases based on mileage and how long those tires last).

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another one:

"The new Defender is the toughest Defender we've ever built."

Hmm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM