Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they did. First one to back off was Encino, for those familiar with the area. They got my business.

Have you given any thought to what tires/size might make their way onto your new rig?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you given any thought to what tires/size might make their way onto your new rig?

I ordered the smallest wheels that fit my incoming HSE trim (19", I picked the black ones) and, among the many other options, the off-road pack which also includes off-road tires in lieu of the standard all-seasons. No idea what brand those will be - but I don't expect much since the better off-road tires (which Land Rover calls "Extreme off-road") cannot be fitted at the factory, they are a dealer installed accessory only - most likely hugely overpriced - and should be GY Wrangler Duratracs, as seen in the photos of the convoy of new vehicles they are testing in Namibia right now.

I am hoping / praying that my trusty 18" Compo PD1880 wheels will fit over the brakes of my incoming Defender, which would be fantastic news, of couse. Just like I did with my LR 4, I would then remove the stock wheels / tires and store them away, untill I get rid of the car in a few years. So far however, nobody seems to know if the Compos will fit this new Defender. I even emailed the manufacturer in the UK and haven't received a reply thus far.

I'll keep you guys posted...

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, Tirerack.com already lists the 2020 Defender. It looks like mine may come fitted with 255/65R19 Goodyear Wrangler Adventure with Kevlar all-terrains, XL rated, 32.3" dia. Not bad as a factory tire, but one should be able to easily upsize to at least 33" or 34" without mods for some more serious "meat" on this vehicle.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's happening to your LR4 when the new Defender comes ?

I ordered the smallest wheels that fit my incoming HSE trim (19", I picked the black ones) and, among the many other options, the off-road pack which also includes off-road tires in lieu of the standard all-seasons. No idea what brand those will be - but I don't expect much since the better off-road tires (which Land Rover calls "Extreme off-road") cannot be fitted at the factory, they are a dealer installed accessory only - most likely hugely overpriced - and should be GY Wrangler Duratracs, as seen in the photos of the convoy of new vehicles they are testing in Namibia right now.

I am hoping / praying that my trusty 18" Compo PD1880 wheels will fit over the brakes of my incoming Defender, which would be fantastic news, of couse. Just like I did with my LR 4, I would then remove the stock wheels / tires and store them away, untill I get rid of the car in a few years. So far however, nobody seems to know if the Compos will fit this new Defender. I even emailed the manufacturer in the UK and haven't received a reply thus far.

I'll keep you guys posted...

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will either trade it in for peanuts (220K miles currently...), or sell it to a fellow enthusiast who appreciates all the extras I threw in it despite the mileage. It still runs and looks great (for a 7-year old vehicle.) Unfortunately, I don't have the garage room to keep them both otherwise I would.

Asilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should be GY Wrangler Duratracs, as seen in the photos of the convoy of new vehicles they are testing in Namibia right now.

32" Duratracs for 19" wheels would be pretty sweet for all us LR4 guys still rocking with their stock 19s.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goodyear recently added a 255/65R19 Wrangler Duratrac on its web site (as well as the mentioned Wrangler Adventure, same size.) At 32.25" dia. it may be a smidgen too tall to run on an unmodified LR4 without some rubbing, but at 255 it would also be quite skinny, so probably a very close call. There is a 255/55R19 Duratrac available as well, which matches the stock LR4 tire size in 19", but offers very little sidewall.

Also note two new sizes in 18 and 20" of Duratracs, recently added along with the launch of the new Defender to fit that model's 18 and 20" stock wheels: 255/70R18 and 255/60R20. All of them have the same overall diameter of about 32.2".

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will either trade it in for peanuts (220K miles currently...), or sell it to a fellow enthusiast who appreciates all the extras I threw in it despite the mileage. It still runs and looks great (for a 7-year old vehicle.) Unfortunately, I don't have the garage room to keep them both otherwise I would.
Hit me up if you want to defarkle before trade in. I’m in Silverlake. Also maybe slap a post up here with your advertisement before dumping it.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goodyear recently added a 255/65R19 Wrangler Duratrac on its web site (as well as the mentioned Wrangler Adventure, same size.) At 32.25" dia. it may be a smidgen too tall to run on an unmodified LR4 without some rubbing, but at 255 it would also be quite skinny, so probably a very close call. There is a 255/55R19 Duratrac available as well, which matches the stock LR4 tire size in 19", but offers very little sidewall.

Also note two new sizes in 18 and 20" of Duratracs, recently added along with the launch of the new Defender to fit that model's 18 and 20" stock wheels: 255/70R18 and 255/60R20. All of them have the same overall diameter of about 32.2".

I can see it now... "Everything about tires for D90/ D110 with 18" wheels"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV