Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DashRiprock

Reaction score
I think some Defender owners/future owners believe that the new Defender is less retro in looks than hoped for. It is a new design with elements of the old but a thoroughly modern update. Many car reviewers seem to like it, both in looks and performance. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been on the internet for a few decades and this forum has been by far the most positive and constructive one I've ever had the good fortune to be a part of. I'm just surprised that you don't appreciate it the same way and feel the need to constantly crap on people's opinions when they're different than yours and you go out of your way to poison an otherwise excellent conversation of differing (AND RESPECTFUL) opinions.

This is in the LR4 forum since this was a conversation of LR4 owners who are/were considering moving to the Defender. So if you don't like it, "toughen up" - that's how the internet works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get the feeling you're mad about something else.

As for me, I don't really care what your opinions are on the Defender, or anyone else's for that matter. This is a tread discussing the Defender. You don't like my opinion. You get mad and attack me. Oh well. On tilt much. Maybe we can meet in Vegas at the poker table?

Seriously, if you like the Defender, well, you be you. Not sure why you feel the need to attack me because I don't. Not sure why you feel that since I don't like it, I must remain silent while you are free to espouse the virtues of such a wonderfully designed, manufactured and priced vehicle...I guess, in some people's world, free speech is great as long as that free speech agrees with them.

Sorry bud, I don't subscribe to that line of thought. I will continue to express my opinion on the Defender as I so choose and your attacks on me are basically meaningless.

I do wonder; however, why you are not on the real Defender forum talking about this vehicle with them and getting some real feedback from real Defender owners? I suspect many would be less understanding than me.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new Ineos Grenadier (if they ever figure out where and when to build it - they have yet to announce where in Europe the plant is going to be) is expected to start at £50,000... About $65k, give or take. LOL, so much for this being the spiritual successor of the humble Defender.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ineos...f_7jPT8Fe91aYhSw2AF2IhGly2kkt31-FJE7nVtxhgWnA

I am making the prediction right now that, at those prices, the Grenadier will never be distributed in North America, and it'll have a hell of a time selling in meaningful numbers anywhere else.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new Ineos Grenadier (if they ever figure out where and when to build it - they have yet to announce where in Europe the plant is going to be) is expected to start at £50,000... About $65k, give or take. LOL, so much for this being the spiritual successor of the humble Defender.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ineos...f_7jPT8Fe91aYhSw2AF2IhGly2kkt31-FJE7nVtxhgWnA

I am making the prediction right now that, at those prices, the Grenadier will never be distributed in North America, and it'll have a hell of a time selling in meaningful numbers anywhere else.
I think at this point, the most honest spiritual successor is the Suzuki Jimny. I am not kidding. Simple, robust, and likely reliable. Tom Sheppard even approves of it. If a guy does 200,000 miles of desert solo trips in a Mercedes G-Wagen and thinks it's pretty good, then it's probably pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the Expedition Portal:

View attachment 11402

I really hate to burst peoples' bubbles, but I wouldn't hold my breath to see the coil version make it to the U.S. Seems like the kind of thing that Land Rover would withhold from the NAS market for some reason or another.

But it is neat to see the best LED headlights being an option across the entire range.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well, in 1992 the D110 was introduced in the US (the only year they were officially brought here as a 1993 model) for $40,000, which is equivalent to around $71,000 today. So, as far as that goes, it's pretty much right in line.

In 94, the D90s were around $30,000 to $35,000, which would be between $52,000 and $61,000 today.

But I think you are right. At those prices, they won't sell many for pretty much the same reasons Land Rover didn't sell many Defenders here. It's also a far cry from what it sounded like Ineos was promising a month ago or so.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just translating pounds to dollars for reference, who knows how they'll price them in the US (assuming they ever sell them here. They are now talking 2022 deliveries in Europe, no dealer network anywhere, and despite the prototypes and fancy YouTube videos they have yet to figure out a lot of crucially basic stuff, such as where they are going to build them.) Bottom line is, the Grenadier will most likely end up being an expensive proposition in their own home market - considering a 2016 base Defender 110, the genuine article in its last year of production there, used to go for about £33k. A base 90 was £23K. Perhaps all the enthusiasm about the Grenadier being the spiritual successor of the Defender at a bargain basement price was a bit premature.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's amazing what a little orange wrap can do. :)

defender1-L.jpg

defender2-L.jpg

defender4-L.jpg

defender3-L.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72