Another LR4 Saved from Coolant Death

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. 14 hours?

Dudes on here have done it in 3 in their garage. Your dealer is adding up the time for each individual job and not taking into consideration that doing almost any one of these jobs eliminates almost all the labor time for the other. Only real wildcard is the rear crossover pipe.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having just done mine this weekend I would say it took about 6 hours for pipes, water pump and thermostat. I feel confident I could cut that time almost in half if i did it again today. There is a lot of time in figuring out what is connected where you can't see. Reassembly was so much quicker than teardown.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just spoke to my dealer to confirm parts and obtain a quote, updated information in CAPS below. These parts are for my 2016 D4 SCV6 so confirm for your own application.

I believe the seal (LR0305930) comes with the oil cooler tube (LR028136), but not 100% sure.

On the supercharger drive belt, just saying again for people who later read this post: there appear to be two different belts with different lengths - LR071040 at 1430 mm and LR011327 at 1444 mm. Both show fitment to my 2016 LR4 on the parts websites. Not a huge difference in length, but might want to have the dealer check your vin (not just model year) to see which one is supposed to be used on your particular car.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the discrepancy in part prices I think the dealers believe that if you show up at the counter you need this part quickly and therefore can charge a premium. If you order online and can wait then it’s lowest price ok.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoke to my Portland LR dealer about the supercharger belt. He can’t narrow it down using the VIN. He said to look for any identifying marks on the belt itself. “Look for something that starts with either 9H23 or with GW.”

I can’t see any markings on either belt, and I did turn the engine over a couple of times to move it a bit. One of the belts has grooves on both sides, which is not something I’ve seen before...probably no markings on that one.

equalizer

Reaction score
I have tried searching for this but to no avail.
What's a typical quote from a LR dealership vs indy to replace the crossovers (Both) for a SCV6 engine?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoke to my Portland LR dealer about the supercharger belt. He can’t narrow it down using the VIN. He said to look for any identifying marks on the belt itself. “Look for something that starts with either 9H23 or with GW.”

I can’t see any markings on either belt, and I did turn the engine over a couple of times to move it a bit. One of the belts has grooves on both sides, which is not something I’ve seen before...probably no markings on that one.

I was not able to see any markings on the supercharger belt. Maybe try calling a different dealer. I’m quite sure I pointed out that there were two different belts with different lengths, and he was able to discern by the VIN.

Just doing a little searching, looks like the longer 1444mm belt is for vehicles up to VIN ga809760, and the shorter 1430mm belt was for vehicles from VIN ga809761. I can see this in the google search results when I search the part numbers - it shows up on the google search pages from the dealer websites, but oddly I cannot find the same text when I actually click on the link.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tried searching for this but to no avail.
What's a typical quote from a LR dealership vs indy to replace the crossovers (Both) for a SCV6 engine?

I have a V8, and got a $450 labor quote to replace the front and rear crossovers from a local indy, with me supplying the parts.

A dealer would probably be around $1,200.

If going the indy route, I called around and some people can't really give you a quote that takes into account combined labor, especially if they've never done the job before. They'll look it up and see the front is 2 hours and the rear is 3 hours and quote you 5 hours, when in reality about 90% of the labor on the front is included in the rear. So watch out for that.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If going the indy route, I called around and some people can't really give you a quote that takes into account combined labor, especially if they've never done the job before. They'll look it up and see the front is 2 hours and the rear is 3 hours and quote you 5 hours, when in reality about 90% of the labor on the front is included in the rear. So watch out for that.
...and if the shop has never done the job before, I'd consider calling around until you find a shop that HAS done it before.

:eek:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I said this elsewhere on this board, but the indy I got the $450 quote from has done the front crossover countless times, but has never done the rear one. But by doing the front they knew what more they'd have to do for the rear.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okamgba1463