Another LR4 Saved from Coolant Death

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered all the parts online and scheduled the service with a local independent which will save me around $3k

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered all the parts online and scheduled the service with a local independent which will save me around $3k
Welcome to the official Land Rover owners club.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any documentation that covers the actual procedures for replacing all of these components in one place? Or is it simple enough that you look at the new part in your hand, map it to the existing part on the engine, then R&R?

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any documentation that covers the actual procedures for replacing all of these components in one place? Or is it simple enough that you look at the new part in your hand, map it to the existing part on the engine, then R&R?

Having just done mine and having zero LR experience prior, I can say the whole process was pretty straightforward. The actual parts for the crossover pipes are easy to do and can't be mistakenly put wrong.

SantaAna7

Reaction score
Use the factory service manual (~270MB PDF file) as the primary guide, and anything else (forums, YouTube, etc) second.
Sorry. Missed these replies. What's a good source? Do I just pay for the LR access and download every page or does someone sell it online? Thanks for the response.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just paid to have mine done because I'm super busy at work and don't have a garage at home (wife fell in love with a 100 year old house and haven't had a garage built yet).

I've also found as I get older that I get increasingly less joy out of extended wrenching on my daily driver. During law school, I had an FJ40 that I'd go out and work on when things got too stressful. That was fun as hell, mainly because it was simple and I didn't worry about having to drive it the next day. To me, that's probably the biggest thing: knowing that if I get tired of working on the car I can just walk away for a day and come back to it when I want.

All that said, after what I paid the indy to do all that crossover pipe work a month ago (it wound up being a lot more than the $450 I stated earlier in this thread), I'm having second thoughts on if I should have done it myself.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bang on. Wrenching on daily drivers suck. I joke with my local Rover indy that in order to drive a Land Rover you need to have a Honda parts runner.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also found as I get older that I get increasingly less joy out of extended wrenching on my daily driver. ...
Amen to that. :(

To me, that's probably the biggest thing: knowing that if I get tired of working on the car I can just walk away for a day and come back to it when I want.
This is a big deal. And it's why we have an extra vehicle available (ok, possibly more than one) so if a DIY job goes wrong, we're not stranded. Our LR4 is not our primary / DD but other than the unexpected battery failure (despite being tethered to a tender!), I've been able to plan DIY repair jobs when convenient.

All that said, after what I paid the indy to do all that crossover pipe work a month ago (it wound up being a lot more than the $450 I stated earlier in this thread), I'm having second thoughts on if I should have done it myself.
THIS is the primary reason I still DIY everything. I can't afford to put the indy's kids through college. And, I've seen far too much shoddy work by so-called professionals. If you find a top-notch indy that really takes pride in their work, the cost tends to be even further into the stratosphere (or, Ivy-league college). Which circles back to buying OE/OEM parts at discount dealers and DIY'ing the repair myself...

:help:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bang on. Wrenching on daily drivers suck. I joke with my local Rover indy that in order to drive a Land Rover you need to have a Honda parts runner.

Ha. That's what I had in law school. The FJ40 fun vehicle, and the Civic Si daily driver.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okamgba1463