Any experience with 19" Michelin Tour HP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Need to ditch the factory contis on the wife's LR4. Although it doesn't see snow duty that much in Seattle as we usually take the burb to the mountains, I'd like to find a tire that give her decent traction when we get an occasional dusting. My main concerns are wet weather and noise. I need a quiet tire for sure.

I've read a few reviews on the Nokian WR G3 and am a little concerned about road noise. The reviews I've read on the Tour HP and the LTX all say how quiet there are. The Tour HP looks to be the better of the two Michelins on traction.

Any thoughts would be great. I do plan to run these year round.

Thanks

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I had WRG3's on my last LR4 and road noise was never an issue whatsoever. Honestly I don't even remember reading any reviews that mentioned it although granted I bought them about 3 years ago. I suppose it's possible that they have changed their compound since then or maybe more recent reviewers have much more sensitive hearing than I do.

I liked that the Nokians were "all weather" (not just all season) and bore both the mountain and the snowflake symbol. But they are not a visibly aggressive tread design like you would get with, say, the Cooper Zeon LTZs. I ran the Nokians with great confidence in DC area snow and in all kinds of weather on extended road trips. I thought they were great. Nokian is also known for their famous Hakkapeliitta snow tires but I never felt like I was missing out by running the WRG3s in snow around here.

For the use scenario you described, I think they would be a solid choice. One other minor plus is that they are relatively rare and it's cool to know that you are running tires made by a company in Finland (although they have or are working on U.S.-based plants now). I got a good deal from tiresbyweb dotcomm when I bought mine. Good luck.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think the LTX is the better tire compared to the tour. i have LTX on an escalade and full size RR and its been great. very quiet and pretty good in the slushy stuff as well. on my LR4 we run the nokians because we use it in the winter but i think the LTX wld do just fine.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I had WRG3's on my last LR4 and road noise was never an issue whatsoever. Honestly I don't even remember reading any reviews that mentioned it although granted I bought them about 3 years ago. I suppose it's possible that they have changed their compound since then or maybe more recent reviewers have much more sensitive hearing than I do.

I liked that the Nokians were "all weather" (not just all season) and bore both the mountain and the snowflake symbol. But they are not a visibly aggressive tread design like you would get with, say, the Cooper Zeon LTZs. I ran the Nokians with great confidence in DC area snow and in all kinds of weather on extended road trips. I thought they were great. Nokian is also known for their famous Hakkapeliitta snow tires but I never felt like I was missing out by running the WRG3s in snow around here.

For the use scenario you described, I think they would be a solid choice. One other minor plus is that they are relatively rare and it's cool to know that you are running tires made by a company in Finland (although they have or are working on U.S.-based plants now). I got a good deal from tiresbyweb dotcomm when I bought mine. Good luck.

Thanks cperez. Anyone else out there that has a newer set of WR G3s who can comment on road noise? The Nokians would be the easy choice, but I want to make sure the car is as quiet as can be on the dry roads at freeway speeds.

I guess Discount Tire has a pretty liberal return policy, so if I'm not completely satisfied...

thanks fo the insight .

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think the LTX is the better tire compared to the tour. i have LTX on an escalade and full size RR and its been great. very quiet and pretty good in the slushy stuff as well. on my LR4 we run the nokians because we use it in the winter but i think the LTX wld do just fine.

rickyn, thanks for the insight. Agree. I'm now down to the WR G3 and the LTX. Thanks

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i really dont find the nokians noisy...the LTX definitely arent but i feel like in SUVs theres always some other noise that dominates over the tires, for example my 3 kids. unless you are very sensitive to noise the WR are fine. For example they dont come close to the noise you hear in a wrangler. The LTX will also likely last longer than the nokians. Tiresbyweb carries nokians.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, discard the contis, they are horrible in a dusting of snow.

I had a set of WRG3's and they are not noisy at all. Even their Hakka R2 SUV winter tires are pretty quiet.

I also have a set of the Premier LTX. They are super quiet and smooth. However, they have pretty shallow tread depth, even when new. Not sure how good they would do in deep heavy snow.

If you have 20" wheels I would consider the Defender LTX as well.

AJMac

Reaction score
Nokians are quiet! I've had 3 sets. No need to worry about noise.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only downside to the WR is they dont make them in a few sizes i wld need. like on a full size RR In 20 and on my escalade in 22. They make hakkas in 20. I even use WRs on my 2017 abarth .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM