Need advice from someone with offroad LR4 experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
It honestly depends on how much you off road. I, personally, would say run the Duratracs and save up the money

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2,1,5 in that order. But not those tires. Go with something proven to be decent, like KO3's, Falkien's, Coopers, etc... But ANY tire other than OEM is going to be an improvement, and the fridge is not a performance extender, so doesn't below on this list. I have a fridge (ARB 50qt), and I love it, but ice is not that big a deal to work with. Focus on Recovery and Safety gear and training before spending on a fridge.

Jazzy

Reaction score
I did a lot of trails in my stock ‘12 LR4 before most of my mods, too include elephant hill and other Moab trails, and so the vic is more than capable stock. That being said, for me, my rock sliders are invaluable. They saved my frame, air compressor, and lots of $$ in repairs (I have TR). I’m also able to jack up rig on some knarly trails using nerf bars and hilift (I’ve had two flat tires on trails in last year).

After that, recoverability (winch and kit, full size spare, hi lift, air compressor). Getting towed off trails is a lot of $$$.

Love my 18” wheels/tires but Tire package is pretty extensive: Tires, 18” wheels (Lucky8 terrafirma doesn't have compatible TPMS), IID to turn off TPMS light, SYA kit from lucky 8, frame cutting if above certain size.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF you can afford them, get 18"'s - Compomotives are THE best - lighter & stronger than the steel alternative (& look far better!!), then put 265/60X18 BFG KO2's or Cooper A/T's (OR 265/65's, but there may be an issue with the underside wheel space & the speedo will be out by more) The 18"'s will provide higher profile & the BFG's are much tougher in the sidewall. The Compo's avoid any issues with fouling/rubbing etc - no need for spacers.
I've found that the 265/65's have given me a high enough sidewall with the toughness I wanted to tackle
our very flinty rocks in our Aussie Outback. These are my third set of BFG' A/T's on two Discovery's & I wouldn't buy anything else for our conditions. Good on-road too - fuel consumption hasn't changed much even with all the gear/weight I've now got. Speedo reading hasn't changed more than 1 KPH.
In the D4 you've now got the BEST overall vehicle in its class. Respect it & only fit the best you can afford.
As others have said; learn the vehicle & what it can do before you throw gear/weight at it, but tires are a
no-compromise area (and a fridge for the meat & beer of course!!)

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So u say about all the other stuff and invest in the best wheels and tires I can get for now. Then invest in learning just learn to drive off-road for a while.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, tires alone just allow you to get into deeper trouble. You need to think about recovery gear, first aid supplies, communications gear, etc. You need a foundation. Is there a Land Rover or 4x4 club near you? If so, Join them and participate. Many clubs do “New Member Orientation” runs to teach and instruct, to give you real world feedback and experience. The more you know, the smarter your decisions and expenditures will be.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Izzy and nWoods. I spent $ on wheels and tires as a plan but the best thing I did was get a couple of days "in saddle" at a course that included one on one time
on not only driving in different situations but also recovery and general awareness. It made the next trips I took way more enjoyable. If i had to choose, I'd spend the $ on that
course 100x before doing anything if I had a limited budget where I had to choose. My first off road trip ever was in a stock D2 in Moab that still amaze me. We just took our D5
to NC a couple of weeks ago and had a great time on a fire trail where a car wouldn't have done well. Stock and patience will still give a ton of fun.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok then this makes sense. And I live in Houston so I think I do have a few options

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, tires alone just allow you to get into deeper trouble. You need to think about recovery gear, first aid supplies, communications gear, etc. You need a foundation. Is there a Land Rover or 4x4 club near you? If so, Join them and participate. Many clubs do “New Member Orientation” runs to teach and instruct, to give you real world feedback and experience. The more you know, the smarter your decisions and expenditures will be.

Comms are often overlooked, and probably warrant a separate thread.

I went out and got a ham license specifically so I could run a dual band in the Rover.

Currently running a permanently mounted Kenwood dual band, a handheld Kenwood dual band that can crosslink repeat with the truck, and a Wilson cell signal amp.

Anybody else care to share their comm setup?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a Trip Leader on many, many events, I had an GMRS/FRS, CB, and HAM 2meter set up. Nothing beats the HAM radio for comms, and my Tail End Charlier always had a HAM set up so no matter how far apart we got, we stayed in comms range. I prefer the higher GMRS bands (channel 21 or so) over CB, but that varies by region and what is more popular in the group you run with. In SoCal, that was the cheap GMRS/FRS handsets. Midland makes a GMRS unit with a base station and true attennea that kicks butt over CB. But nothing beats HAM

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72