Anybody regret not getting LUX?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,
per the instruction manual, when it beeps continuously you have about a foot between the bumper and the object. I have been there many times. You just need to trust your instincts and the sensors. I am surprised you would give up the camera for the sensors. The only thing I wish I had in the 2010 HSE was a rear view camera bc my wife complains all the time. We have a rear view camera (with 3 different view angles) and sensors in our Odyssey and she still manages to wack the damn thing!!! I am actually looking to have one installed in the LR4 with a screen in the rear view mirror. A LR dealer in RI refered me to this guy whom they use to add HIDs and cameras for their customers. I may do it in the next few months. I really don't see the need for it but she is concerned she'll run over a kid or something....go figure
George
Thanks for the reply, George!

I guess I am not usually in a situation where I really utilize the camera or the rear sensors, but I love having both. That sucks the 2010 model did not have a back-up camera, it's definitely an add-on that would be useful, especially for your wife. I think it's a woman thing, as I often see women in my town backing out of their parking spaces looking only at their nav screen and don't really even physically look around. Hahaha!

On an unrelated topic, do you have a front sun shade? I have one, but it's a PAIN IN THE ROYAL **** to spread out, etc. Any suggestions on a simple, yet effective one?

-David.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I guess I am not usually in a situation where I really utilize the camera or the rear sensors, but I love having both. That sucks the 2010 model did not have a back-up camera, it's definitely an add-on that would be useful, especially for your wife. I think it's a woman thing, as I often see women in my town backing out of their parking spaces looking only at their nav screen and don't really even physically look around. Hahaha!

On an unrelated topic, do you have a front sun shade? I have one, but it's a PAIN IN THE ROYAL **** to spread out, etc. Any suggestions on a simple, yet effective one?

-David.

No I do not have a sun shade. It doesn't get too hot on Cape Cod as you may know. I had ones for previous vehicles but I stopped using them since they were a pain to spread out and remove. I would use it however if I lived in CA or in a more temperate climate where the sun is really hot and can cause damage and fading.
George

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Marty,

I have never actually been close enough to something to hear the flatlining, does it go into a solid beep if you get reeaaaallllyyyyy close???

Yes the tone is solid. Just like a flat-line. It does not stop until you move away from the object or in my case, take it out of reverse.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's funny how when referencing the problems with the lux package, the cameras are always mentioned even though they are not part of the lux package...there are HSE only folks that have the vision package with cameras too.

Threads of this topic always go the same way - the Non-lux owners trying to downplay the "unnecessary" options and how they are just "silly gizmos" that tend to go wrong a lot. I think another poster summed it up well - if one could afford the extra cost for the lux, they probably would have bought it. Less we forget we all bought a luxury SUV that is honestly not a practical vehicle across the board. Most on this board will never once use it for what it's capable of doing yet don't have a problem buying a $50k mall crawler...that sounds pretty dumb to me. I went looking for an HSE because I didn't want to spend $60k. For that price, the lux is nics but not worth it. For $48k for a lux, with 5k miles, it was worth it. Now being a lux owner, I love all the extra comforts of it and glad I don't have to wish for passive entry, LED lights worked and not just blanks, seat memory, brighter halogens that are closer to the HIDs that are auto-adjust...etc.

Sorry for ranting but I know there are more non-lux than lux so I try to do my part to make sure newbies that are trying to decide remember that there is value in the lux, case in point by all the countless post about wanting LEDs(2010), HIDs, passive entry, memory seat, logic 7...etc.

Last edited:

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thought behind my original post was that I personally had a slight twinge of regret not getting the LUX. I certainly don't fall into a HSE non LUX vs. HSE LUX mentality. I definitely see the worth of some of those extra features. My biggest complaint is that most of those extras (minus maybe the Vision Assist or HD) should be standard on the HSE especially for the price. Now putting all of that aside I LOVE my HSE. And I only wish I can't wait to crush the roads during the first snow fall next winter.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well put Ougrad1,

As an HSE owner I hope I didn't add to the tone of the "unnecessary" vibe. My comments were only my opinion. I would take every option available in a micro second if I could. Who wouldn't?

That being said, I think the theme of the thread was if you regret not getting the LUX package. I would now have to say that I have no regrets but I don't know what I'm missing either.

Thanks,

Marty

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally agree for the price we all pay, a lot should be standard. The one that I think is a travesty it's not standard is the HD package....it's a LAND ROVER and not an explorer. Why you don't get a rear locking diff and a full size spare is sorta crazy. On my last offroading trip, an lr3 blew a tire and luckily had the HD package and a full spare. I started realizing I would be screwed if I blew my tire and had to put my little donut on in the middle of a trail run...I'm now looking for a 19" rr or lr4 wheel on craigslist.

starrover

Reaction score

-David.

Dear David,

You might try and remember that there are women on this forum as well and bad driving is really not limited to a "woman thing". I have witnessed plenty of men with their heads up their a**** while driving. I am a woman driver of an LR4 living in the SF Bay area and I highly doubt you'll ever see me back up without taking a look.

Anyway, just saying...might want to remember that next time

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I...I'm now looking for a 19" rr or lr4 wheel on craigslist.

We need to start a new thread for this, but maybe 4 of us should get togeather and buy some "take offs" and each take one for our spares.

I don't have a ton of money to spend right now, but I sure would like to have a matching spare tire/wheel.

Rob

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear David,

You might try and remember that there are women on this forum as well and bad driving is really not limited to a "woman thing". I have witnessed plenty of men with their heads up their a**** while driving. I am a woman driver of an LR4 living in the SF Bay area and I highly doubt you'll ever see me back up without taking a look.

Anyway, just saying...might want to remember that next time

Dear Starrover,
David just meant it as a joke. You are correct in saying that there are a lot of men who drive with their "heads up their a--". I have done that sometimes myself. There are bad drivers everywhere, both men and women.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4