Atlantic British Ltd. brake packages...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's time for new pads and rotors. Atlantic British offers three kits...OEM @ 499, Ferodo @ 369 (probably the OEM supplier), or an EBC "upgrade" at 649.

Anybody order one of these kits from Atlantic British? I'm trying to confirm product quality and fit before I order. All three options are significantly cheaper than the dealer.

If anyone has installed the EBC kit, would like to know how effective the pads are for cold/first stops. I like low dust, but not at the expense of poor initial bite. Nothing scarier than a set of high temp race pads on a cold morning :ahhhhh:

ChuckD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had great luck with the EBC rotors/pad combo on my 2001 DII. No issue with cold first applications.

ChuckD

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be aware that if the kit includes the EBC Sport Rotors, they make a constant "whirring noise", even when not braking. EBC admits this in their FAQ section, which I would recommend reading before purchasing any EBC product.

That said, the combination of the EBC Sport Rotors and Hawk Heavy Duty SUV pads made a huge difference on our old GX470. But the constant noise was more than my wife would put up with......

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be aware that if the kit includes the EBC Sport Rotors, they make a constant "whirring noise", even when not braking. EBC admits this in their FAQ section, which I would recommend reading before purchasing any EBC product.

That said, the combination of the EBC Sport Rotors and Hawk Heavy Duty SUV pads made a huge difference on our old GX470. But the constant noise was more than my wife would put up with......

Yea, I thought about the slots and noise, I run slotted rotors on my Audi and they definitely make some noise. I could probably live with it....might drown out some of the excess tire noise:rolleyes:

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise of the EBC Sport Rotors are especially acute, more so than any onther "Aero" I've ever experienced; which includes StopTech and Brembo 2-piece rotors, and DBA kangaroo paw's. Sounds like a plane taking off.

I could have lived with it, considering the performance benefits, but my wife absolutely could not.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I, too, have the ebc slotted and dimpled brake package. I hardly notice the noise myself when the windows are down and cannot hear it at all when they are up; however, they do emit a VERY loud squeaking noise when braking after they are warmed up after a couple of successive stops. Also, they don't grip quite that well when cold, but after they get moving for a bit, the braking benefits are definitely noticeable.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how about the ferodo?
mad town what did you get and how do you like them

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how about the ferodo?
mad town what did you get and how do you like them

I haven't made a decision yet. I think slotted/dimpled rotors are probably just "bling" on an LR3...and I have no use for bling, especially when it costs more. I am leaning toward OEM. Brake dust isn't that big a deal since my truck is dirty most of the time anyway, but I won't put pads on the truck that sacrifice stopping power. ferodo is a very reputable pad, but they make lots of stuff for lots of applications. Atlantic British can't really confirm what specific compound is in the ferodo pad, just that they are "OEM like". I'd really like to get a ceramic compound pad designed to perform at ambient temps. Haven't found anything yet in the LR3 pad size/shape.

I was really just trying to get a feel for Atlantic British and their reputation. Their pricing is pretty good assuming they deliver what they advertise.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can wait a while Akebono will be releasing their Ceramic brake pads for the LR3.

http://www.akebonobrakes.com

On a side note, I wouldn't consider slotted/dimpled rotors "bling". The slots and or dimples actually help braking performance by permitting what is called outgassing. This promotes better pad to rotor contact thus increasing brake efficiency.

Last edited:

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can wait a while Akebono will be releasing their Ceramic brake pads for the LR3.

http://www.akebonobrakes.com

On a side note, I wouldn't consider slotted/dimpled rotors "bling". The slots and or dimples actually help braking performance by permitting what is called outgassing. This promotes better pad to rotor contact thus increasing brake efficiency.

IMHO, after running lots of slotted brake rotors on street vehicles and track cars, it is just bling on the street applications. Even on track, marginally better performance, and then only if you have everything else right (compound, temp, proper bedding, etc). Slots just aren't that useful until brakes get good and hot :biggrin:

I've got a couple thousand miles of life left in my pads, so hopefulyy Akebono will get something out. If I had a set of backing plates I'd send them to Carbotech to be faced with their street ceramics which have been real good for me as a street application.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo