Auxiliary fuel tank for LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am researching options for an auxiliary fuel tank for an LR4. I know that there are few options in Australia but was wondering if anybody knows of US importers/distributors of such fuel tanks. Also - are there any issues with using a diesel designed aux fuel tank for a gas LR4?

Thanks for any input.

Best,

Michal

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put some thought into this. Getting a tank from AU is going to be hard. Most of those companies wont ship it to you, and it would be very expensive.

Best option I could come up with is find a local shop that could either find a tank or fabricate one, similar to a race car style safety tank. I didn't get too far into figuring out the pump arrangement, but it would be nice to be able to move fuel between tanks, etc.

Probably be best to find a local place though. IMO

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well since a tank of gas only lasts 4-7 days for me, I am interested as well...

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at this as well. Not many options. Years back, I had great luck having a boat tank builder build an aux tank for my d-90 that added 7-8 gallons under the frame rail. I still use it today. The big issue I can see and have not investigated is filling the aux tank. The saddle tank I have has a separate filler, cut into the body work. At the time, I explored other options but most would fundamentally not work with the bends needed in the filling line and location of the tank. My aux tank also has a separate switched pump that fills the main tank. Toyota made a dual filler neck assembly for the older ROW Land Cruisers and is the device I would use today.

So to summarize, talk to a boat tank builder. Most are made from aluminum, can be baffled and extra think skin can be added as protection on the bottom. This is the route I plan to go at some point.

michal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys - I am planning on talking with folks at FrontRunnerOutfitters as they do have an aux tank 21gallon mounted in the spare tire compartment. It fits all models of LR3s and LR4s. If we gather forces (and orders) we could do a group buy and thus the shipping costs would be significantly lowered. Any interests?

michal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will get the details re pump. I don't know if they agree to import them but it is worth to try...

michal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoke with folks at FrontRunnerOutfitters and they "legally" can't import them BUT they will see of we could do a group buy directly from their HQs in South Africa and then use one if their containers for shipment. More to come

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Running20c