Beach driving on the OBX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

weingarm

Reaction score
Just got back from a trip to Corolla, NC on the outer banks. Did some beach driving and drove through the sand dunes. LR4 handled it great without any trouble. Used the normal "on road" setting for the terrain response, kept the transmission in normal automatic setting, and left the tires at their normal on-road air pressures (about 40psi all around). See pics... (my friends also came with their LR3 - you'll see it in one photo).

Attachments

• beach 1.jpg
    beach 1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 209
  • beach 2.jpg
    beach 2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 206
  • beach 3.jpg
    beach 3.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 203
  • beach 4.jpg
    beach 4.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 201
  • beach 5.jpg
    beach 5.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 201

weingarm

Reaction score
And one more of the wild horses that walked by our LR4 on their stroll...

Attachments

• beach 6.jpg
    beach 6.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 197

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AWESOME pictures! We have the exact same LR4! Looks like you had a great time on the beach. Thanks for the pictures.

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
Weingarm, given all the reliability and availability problems that many LR4 owners seem to have (as evidenced by the many discussion areas on this message board), are you at all nervous about taking your truck all the way to the Outer Banks in North Carolina from New York? That must be a 6- to 7-hour drive. It would be a major bummer to wake up one morning and find that your truck was completely dead and unresponsive (as a few on this board seem to have experienced lately).

weingarm

Reaction score
Weingarm, given all the reliability and availability problems that many LR4 owners seem to have (as evidenced by the many discussion areas on this message board), are you at all nervous about taking your truck all the way to the Outer Banks in North Carolina from New York? That must be a 6- to 7-hour drive. It would be a major bummer to wake up one morning and find that your truck was completely dead and unresponsive (as a few on this board seem to have experienced lately).

Actually, it was a 13 hour drive from where I live in New York State. Our friends with the LR3 also live near us so they had the same drive - and guess what? Their LR3 is a 2006 model and they've done the trip to NC six times now!

If you buy a vehicle as capable as the LR3/LR4 it would be a shame to live in a bubble and never drive it more than an hour from home. Why did you buy it then? Just to commute to work?

Despite what you've read, the vast majority of LR3/4 owners have probably had good experiences with regards to reliability - they just don't speak up on boards like this.

And if you've never driven on the the remote beaches of the outer banks - there's not much else like it in the USA- you should try it! As Doc in "Back to the Future" once said... "where we're going we don't need roads..."

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder if most people on the board would agree with you, given that most people on the board tried to dissuade that guy from Nepal from buying a Land Rover because of its reputation for unpredictable reliability. I would imagine that the remote beaches of the outer banks, while certainly not quite as remote as the back country of Nepal, would be a terrible place to have a sudden and unexpected (for the most part) breakdown.

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the main crux of the whole Nepal issue was the lack of LR service in Nepal. You could have an issue 5 blocks from your house. It doesn't have to be 400-500 miles away.

Reaction score
Weingarm:
So crazy that you and I were in the same part just a few weeks apart. I was in Corolla and was on the very same beach and same horses etc.

I was there in late August and had to be evacuated for Hurricane.

I will say this---only 2 SUV's survived that beach when i was there for 4 days in a row-----the Land Rovers and the Jeeps. Everything else was stuck!! I will say the Toyota FJ Cruiser ate the beach up though. Amazing. the LR3 and LR4's I saw....were beasts and never even flinched at the sand.

Great pics though!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99