Best way to clean out sunroof drains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisp

Reaction score
I've heard that some shops will blow them out from the bottom, I've also seen people blow them out from the top or thread some weedwacker cord down the drain tube. I've also heard these tubes can collapse? Mine seem to have gone from sort of bad, to overflowing on pretty much any rain. Headliner is getting worked over with stains :(

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carefully blow out from either end.
You can cut the convoluted end off the drains behind the fender vents. Stuff tend to back up at this restriction.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lowered the front of my headliner, removed the hoses then blew with mouth. Next time, I'll just blow a bit of compressed air at the drain opening. I won't be dropping my headliner again unless it's to repair something. I ran a de-humidifier for about two weeks 24hrs with the front carpet lifted up a bit to remove all of the moisture.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think i’d try running the weedwacker cord through first . I’d be worried the compressed air could blow a tube loose, especially if there is a clog.

JKJK

Reaction score
I use weedwacker cord as mentioned above.

I‘ve also observed a dealership service center using warm water heated up in a kettle.

chakadog

Reaction score
I’ve cleared our Lr3 and lr4 drains via the weedwhacker method several times.

But question… what purpose does the constriction serve at the end of the line? If I didn’t know better I would say it was designed to catch debris and cause a clog.

Seems common to all sunroof drain designs regardless of marque do the must be a reason for it to be there. ( Giving engineers the benefit of doubt here! )

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut