1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blinding splash issue

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Lgibson, Aug 7, 2015.

1. cperez

cperez Full Access Member

I'll admit it: My kids are grown. I smash puddles in the LR4 for myowndamn enjoyment. I think it's a blast. The massive blinding gusher of water it creates is a feature, not a bug.

That said, I try to limit it to "known" puddle locations on my regular routes. Those being spots where I have a good idea of the condition of the underlying road. I don't need to be blowing a tire or bending my suspension on unseen hazards. But sometimes I'll even roll the dice on unmapped puddles if the spirit moves me.

PaulLR3 likes this.
  2. DaytonaRS7

DaytonaRS7 Full Access Member

ill resurrect this old thread....
    had this happen to me this morning and I was blinded for 2-3 seconds. seems like an eternity when driving though.

rain was light at the time, but had been pouring on and off all night, leaving alot of puddles and they were hard to see due to glare. Water must have pooled along a low spot near the edge of the road, less than 6" deep. it was just enough to cause slight hydroplaning, but the splash over the windshield was terrible. held the wheel tight and hoped the truck remained going straight. all was well, but a very scary experience.

3. f1racer328

f1racer328 Full Access Member

This thread is hilarious. I generally always trash my car through puddles if it's already dirty.

Although the last time I did it I had a ton of TPMS errors for a few days... must have gotten something a bit wet lol but they all went away eventually.

cperez likes this.
  4. PaulLR3

PaulLR3 Full Access Member

Now that you know what to expect, the windshield splash-over becomes a fun experience.

cperez likes this.
  5. ryanjl

ryanjl Full Access Member

The splash on the windshield is a feature designed to make the driver of a Land Rover feel like they are lead driver in the Camel Trophy in some sub-Saharan adventure.

cperez likes this.
  6. cperez

cperez Full Access Member

It’s a feature, not a bug. And if the wind is just right, the effect is even more spectacular as the deluge flies extravagantly way up over the top of the roof. If it doesn’t make you reflexively grin like a fool, you have no soul and your Land Rover Owners card will be revoked immediately.

But as you said, the above only applies if you know what to expect. That first time causes legit pucker factor, I don’t care who you are.