My LR4 is gone, the dream is dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
I apologize if you already mentioned it, but have you driven the LR4 yet?

Thanks, David

David, I have not test driven one. I visited a dealership in April (same week I test drove the Volvo XC70) and talked to a salesman for a while. I sat in the LR4 that was on the showroom floor (liked it a lot), but waved off the offer of a test drive because my schedule was kind of tight that day. I gave the salesman my contact info and told him I'd be interested in taking one out for a drive at a later date. He hasn't contacted me back yet.

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the miscarriage. We went through a couple miscarriages and I know they are very tough emotinally and physically (for the wife). Based on what you are saying, it looks like the LR4 will be a good fit for you. The accessibility of the third row seat however is more difficult than in the Pilot.

Thanks.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, I have not test driven one. I visited a dealership in April (same week I test drove the Volvo XC70) and talked to a salesman for a while. I sat in the LR4 that was on the showroom floor (liked it a lot), but waved off the offer of a test drive because my schedule was kind of tight that day. I gave the salesman my contact info and told him I'd be interested in taking one out for a drive at a later date. He hasn't contacted me back yet.

You need to drive one. It's what got me into buying my Discovery 4. The driving experience is out of this world: an incredible (I had never seen before) blend/balance of luxury and off-road capability.

If and when you get yours, you will like the roar from the cooling fan. It's not an issue or a problem. It's how it works and you will here it after engine start for a minute. If it roars all the time, then you've got an issue (wether you enjoy the roar or not).

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,
funny you mention the infiniti. The van we have now is a lease. I leased bc I knew i will not be driving a van once my kids move to forward facing seats. We are looking into either a GL450 of the infiniti QX57 once the lease on the van runs out. I like the beafiness of the infiniti and the electronics. My wife like the GL450. I think we will end up with the GL. The LR4 drives better than either of those vehicles but no room for three kids...
Hey baobay,

I almost got a GL - the diesel one! I really liked the GL, but just not into the styling on the outside. The front is great, just hate the back really. That's just preference. As far as Mercedes, I LOVE the G55 AMG - that's a sweet SUV!

The GL is definitely roomy and solid feeling. It has a great ride. However, I think I'd pick the Infiniti - I love that big 'ole tank.

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gfcronus,

It sounds like the LR4 may work for you based on what you are saying. Sorry about what happened in your life, it's especially difficult for the wives. Definitely give the LR4 a test drive before making your decision. The 2012 models should be coming out soon and they have a few new features I believe. The Volvo XC70 is a nice car. Have you looked into the XC90?

Keep us posted.

-David

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And now you all should give each other a collective hug and sing Kumbaya:bootyshak

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In truth, I am trying to rationalize why I SHOULD get one, not why I shouldn't. We had two BMWs previously. Then we bought a 2009 Honda Pilot when we are expecting our first child, sold one of the BMWs (my baby, the M3) a few months later and told myself when the time came to get rid of the second BMW, I was going to get a boring, but reliable and economical car that used regular unleaded gasoline. Something like a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry or one of those boring cars.

Two kids later (and hope for a third), I am now thinking of going the complete opposite direction: buying a hogging big SUV that sucks premium gasoline (with gas prices high again) and has a questionable reputation for reliability.

So I am trying to talk myself INTO buying a LR, and by reading about some of the problems people are having, I am trying to figure out a way to convince myself that I could either live with these problems or, better yet, that they probably woudn't happen to me.

Hey G-,

I also had to get rid of my beloved 2008 BMW M3, I have a Son now and it just wasn't practical. The only thing I found close to the overall personal experience of my M3 was the LR4... It connected with me, unlike the X5 and Benz and I look at the LR4 experience as being the best luxury off roader, just like the M3 was the best for the track. There is no other SUV out there that outperforms Land Rovers... And the LR4 is extremely reliable, and realistically, all cars have issues, equally IMO. Anyway, I hope you find that replacement one day. For now my love is for off roading and heading out to the country with my Son. One day when he's older I'll get a P-car or something so my Son and I can track... But for now it's about the family and not myself. Although it was fun being young and selfish, I wouldn't trade the love I have for my precious family for that any day.

Last edited:

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is sure an interesting change in this thread. One I wasn't really expecting. I'm sure glad it's happening though.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the "Bulldog". It's my new ride. With a face that only a mother could love, a wide stance and short overhangs, it's aggresiveness in a small package. The tires help with the stance.

But it sure looks funny in my neigborhood.

CIMG0048.jpg

CIMG0047.jpg

CIMG0049.jpg

CIMG0051.jpg

Rob

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good life decisions, and it says a lot about a person who is willing to humble himself for the security of his family.

By the way, I have frequently rented Suzuki Samarai/Sidekicks on surf trips to Central America, and they are phenomenally tough and their offroad capabilities are truly underappreciated. I put myself in situations where water was over the hood, mud up to the door sills, and having to climb steep muddy river banks was required or wait hours until someone showed-up in the jungle with a tractor. I also floated over deeply rutted roads at 45mph+ - must get to surf, and the Suzuki suspension tracked straight and never had a failure (that I knew of). Massive respect for them.

Thank you.

This is one of the reasons I bought the little Suzuki. I hear they are tough as nails offrroad. It may not have the awesome air suspension and articulation of my LR4, but it has just as much ground clearance, Better approach, departure and ramp over angles. With the tires, I'm hoping that it goes just as many place or more than I was willing to take my LR4.

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72