My LR4 is gone, the dream is dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As this is my 500th post on the forums, I thought it was time to admit that my LR4 is no longer part of the family. It was a very difficult decision, but I traded my dream car off about 3 weeks ago.

When my brother and I were in college during the late 80s I saw my first modern Land Rover. My brother and I would finish up at class, and hit the golf course in the afternoon. We had many conversations about vehicles. It was at that time I announced to him, that if I could only have one vehicle, it would be a Land Rover. It epitomized everything about the life style I wanted. The truck was capable and confident anywhere and everywhere. There was a true dichotomy between the off-road aspect and the luxury appointments. It was exactly what I was all about. This was my dream car, and some day I would have one.

Fast forward about 20 years… After a string of new Hondas, then Nissans and a mixture of BMW, Audi and Lexus I was finally getting to the point I could afford one. The jump from our most expensive car at $42k to a $60k truck was a big step. My wife and I talked about it and knew we could make it work, even though we really didn’t need a truck this large anymore. Our three kids had grown up and now 2 of them were driving, involved with school activities and working. Our days of long, driving family vacations were all but over. We had actually thought about downsizing, but my wife knew I wanted this vehicle for a long time.

We picked up the LR4 HSE Lux with vision assist in July of 2010. I quickly added the OEM rubber mats, hitch and harness. I was in love with this truck. It pushed all my buttons and I felt like a king. Never before had I been in such a vehicle that commanded as much respect. It was smooth, powerful and quiet. Land Rover had hit a home run with the LR4 and I was living the dream.

My dealings with the dealership were spectacular during the purchase process. I attended a couple of events with the dealer and felt like I was treated like royalty. I was showered with gifts, free meals and treated to off-road venues with training. My family and I loved it. Then a few problems happened. Let’s just say the honeymoon was over as soon as I started dealing with the service area.

Over the course of 7 months, I had a few minor issues with the truck. They have all been talked about here and many people have experienced the same issues. Radio/Nav screen non-responsiveness, camera issues, TPMS sensors, Suspension faults and a burned out window motor. Eventually they were all fixed by the dealer, as they should be. But the real problem was how the dealer resolved them. My truck made 4 total trips to the service area, for a combined time in the shop of 19 days. Each trip was even more painful than the previous and even after talking to the Service manager, GM, New car manager and getting the owner involved; my frustration grew. It’s not that they weren’t trying, I could see that they were trying at every step. It was a failure of execution. Parts were not ordered when they said there were, time lines were not hit, there was a lack of communication and they even forgot they had my truck for about 5 days at one time. Never before had a single vehicle I had owned in the last 20 years of buying new cars, had one of my vehicles even spent a single night in the shop. It was the most frustrating experience ever. Eventually the dealer came through and made me happy, but it was too late.

Financial reasons were the main culprit for the expiration of my dream. The dealership experience was right there too. I would say the final reason was just the plain uncertainty of owning a Land Rover. Let’s say 50% financial, 40% dealer and the remaining 10% was left over for the future uncertainty. I might have fought harder to keep the LR4 if the dealership could have delivered on their promises, but in the end it was just too late.

When my wife and I bought eh LR4, we were in great financial state. Right after we bought it, both of our heat pumps/air conditioners failed. Our water heater literally split down the side and flooded our finished basement. A rock broke the windshield in the LR4. My wife had lasik done on her eyes. We bought two cars for our kids. We had committed to going on two expensive family vacations and two lesser driving vacations. Our basement flooded again because someone left a hose going next to the house watering flowers for a week. We need to paint our house and we need to think about a new roof. We basically spent a ton of money and more expenditures are coming. Something had to give.

I have never owned a vehicle for such a small amount of time, and I doubt I ever will again. I normally put us on a 7-8 year cycle for new cars. My wife is due to get a new car in 2-3 years to replace her Lexus. That means I will not have a chance to join the LR faithful for another 10 years. It may be better than that, but realistically I know it won’t. My kids are all in high school and the first graduates next year, and then the other two follow right after that. In 3 years, all of them will be in college. Then my girls will want to get married, my wife will want to go on more cruises or another trip to Europe… it will never end.

My time here with you all has been great. I have learned a lot and I hope that I helped at least a few people along the way. I will never forget that I lived the dream, even if it was just for 13 months. I still plan on checking in from time to time. I’m sure you will still see me post a comment here and there. I hope nobody will frown on the fact that I no longer have my LR4 when they read my comments.

Take care!

Rob

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As this is my 500th post on the forums, I thought it was time to admit that my LR4 is no longer part of the family. It was a very difficult decision, but I traded my dream car off about 3 weeks ago.

When my brother and I were in college during the late 80s I saw my first modern Land Rover. My brother and I would finish up at class, and hit the golf course in the afternoon. We had many conversations about vehicles. It was at that time I announced to him, that if I could only have one vehicle, it would be a Land Rover. It epitomized everything about the life style I wanted. The truck was capable and confident anywhere and everywhere. There was a true dichotomy between the off-road aspect and the luxury appointments. It was exactly what I was all about. This was my dream car, and some day I would have one.

Fast forward about 20 years… After a string of new Hondas, then Nissans and a mixture of BMW, Audi and Lexus I was finally getting to the point I could afford one. The jump from our most expensive car at $42k to a $60k truck was a big step. My wife and I talked about it and knew we could make it work, even though we really didn’t need a truck this large anymore. Our three kids had grown up and now 2 of them were driving, involved with school activities and working. Our days of long, driving family vacations were all but over. We had actually thought about downsizing, but my wife knew I wanted this vehicle for a long time.

We picked up the LR4 HSE Lux with vision assist in July of 2010. I quickly added the OEM rubber mats, hitch and harness. I was in love with this truck. It pushed all my buttons and I felt like a king. Never before had I been in such a vehicle that commanded as much respect. It was smooth, powerful and quiet. Land Rover had hit a home run with the LR4 and I was living the dream.

My dealings with the dealership were spectacular during the purchase process. I attended a couple of events with the dealer and felt like I was treated like royalty. I was showered with gifts, free meals and treated to off-road venues with training. My family and I loved it. Then a few problems happened. Let’s just say the honeymoon was over as soon as I started dealing with the service area.

Over the course of 7 months, I had a few minor issues with the truck. They have all been talked about here and many people have experienced the same issues. Radio/Nav screen non-responsiveness, camera issues, TPMS sensors, Suspension faults and a burned out window motor. Eventually they were all fixed by the dealer, as they should be. But the real problem was how the dealer resolved them. My truck made 4 total trips to the service area, for a combined time in the shop of 19 days. Each trip was even more painful than the previous and even after talking to the Service manager, GM, New car manager and getting the owner involved; my frustration grew. It’s not that they weren’t trying, I could see that they were trying at every step. It was a failure of execution. Parts were not ordered when they said there were, time lines were not hit, there was a lack of communication and they even forgot they had my truck for about 5 days at one time. Never before had a single vehicle I had owned in the last 20 years of buying new cars, had one of my vehicles even spent a single night in the shop. It was the most frustrating experience ever. Eventually the dealer came through and made me happy, but it was too late.

Financial reasons were the main culprit for the expiration of my dream. The dealership experience was right there too. I would say the final reason was just the plain uncertainty of owning a Land Rover. Let’s say 50% financial, 40% dealer and the remaining 10% was left over for the future uncertainty. I might have fought harder to keep the LR4 if the dealership could have delivered on their promises, but in the end it was just too late.

When my wife and I bought eh LR4, we were in great financial state. Right after we bought it, both of our heat pumps/air conditioners failed. Our water heater literally split down the side and flooded our finished basement. A rock broke the windshield in the LR4. My wife had lasik done on her eyes. We bought two cars for our kids. We had committed to going on two expensive family vacations and two lesser driving vacations. Our basement flooded again because someone left a hose going next to the house watering flowers for a week. We need to paint our house and we need to think about a new roof. We basically spent a ton of money and more expenditures are coming. Something had to give.

I have never owned a vehicle for such a small amount of time, and I doubt I ever will again. I normally put us on a 7-8 year cycle for new cars. My wife is due to get a new car in 2-3 years to replace her Lexus. That means I will not have a chance to join the LR faithful for another 10 years. It may be better than that, but realistically I know it won’t. My kids are all in high school and the first graduates next year, and then the other two follow right after that. In 3 years, all of them will be in college. Then my girls will want to get married, my wife will want to go on more cruises or another trip to Europe… it will never end.

My time here with you all has been great. I have learned a lot and I hope that I helped at least a few people along the way. I will never forget that I lived the dream, even if it was just for 13 months. I still plan on checking in from time to time. I’m sure you will still see me post a comment here and there. I hope nobody will frown on the fact that I no longer have my LR4 when they read my comments.

Take care!

Rob

Rob, what a heartfelt post. You made the right decision for your family and you sound like a wonderful husband, father, and provider. I have nothing but utmost respect for you and I agree, right now you are in that stage of life that is just really damn expensive. I remember when I was in college and my sister was in private school...my parents drove older cars and my dad just looked stressed, but he went without those shiny new cars so that my sister and I could have the best education and futures and I love him so much for that. One day, you will be back in your dream car and hopefully will have an even better experience and you wont have so much on your plate. Those will be glorious days. My parents are living large now...LOL :)

I wish you the very best and I always enjoyed reading your posts. You were one of my favorite posters and I always learned something. Please always feel free to post whenever you want to.

You know, in life, we never know what will come our way and as you said, our financial state may be one way one month and then completely opposite the next. Its the decisions we make for our families that matter and those decisions determine how we fare in the difficult times and you have obviously figured that out. I highly respect you for your selflessness and your character.

God Bless you and your family!

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll be back bbehind the wwheel of a LR... In the mean time if you're ever in Panama you can take minr out for a spin

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Rob,

I am sorry to hear you traded in your LR4, but I completely understand the reason. It sounds like something you needed to do and I definitely think you did the right thing for you and your family. We will definitely miss you on here, but hope you will continue to reply and offer great advice. I love my LR4, but I can see some of the frustrations at times. I just hit about 4,000 miles and my fuel level indicator is working only once in a while over the past couple days so I will need to bring it into the dealership tomorrow morning. Even though it's all warranty work, it's still frustrating. But, this can happen to any car, no matter the make or model. My good friend is a Toyota service manager and he tells me some stories about cars coming into their shop, etc. All cars have their issues!

Take care buddy and best off luck, and many blessings to you and your family!

Regards, David

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you got rid of your LR.

I am not quite sure I understand the financial part of your reasoning though: doesn't one take a major depreciation hit and loses tons of money when trading in so early in their ownnership?

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depreciation is an accounting term for keeping track of your assett's value. The end result of trading the truck in for a cheaper vehicle is cash in your pocket for home repairs or other needs.

By keeping it longer you can diminish the depreciation per year of owwnership, but this will do nothing in favor of your immediate cash needs.

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
uhur, I am surprised alex didn't lock the thread after he schooled you on depreciation. That is what he usually does: talks down to someone, then locks it.

Last edited:

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
BTW, Rob....thanks for the post. Finally, someone speaks honestly about the Land Rover experience. Seems like most people on here are on an artificial high (laughing gas?) about their LR4s. (To wit, plenty of posts where people are celebrating 1,000 miles of problem-free driving.)

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the great comments. It makes me feel a little better knowing that I will be able to live vicariously through all of you. I really do appreciate the support. I'm not able to even mention the Land Rover expierience to my wife. Bless her heart, she can be supportive at times, but other times I know enought not to even say how much I miss driving it.

As far as depreciation and trade in; yeah I took a little hit there but not nearly as bad as it could have been. Last year when I bought the LR4 I got it for $55k and they gave me about $1400 more for my trade than I could get any where else at a dealer. I'm going to say a net of $53,600. I had 13,012 miles on it when I traded it in. I got $46,500 net for it with the deal on my new vehicle. That works out to be about $546 a month to live the dream.

The Lr4 was finacnced at 3.9% and my new truck is 0%. So with all things considered; payment, insurance, title/taxes each year and fuel economy, I pocket about $650 more a month in my houehold budget. I got some money back from the trade too, So I'm actually better than my numbers above.

Even with the LR4 in my garage, we had money left over each month. With all that we have had happen in the last 18 months, most of our savings has been eaten up. I was very concerned that even 1 more little disaster might finally sink us if I didn't make a change.

Trust me, each and every day I question two of my decisions: why did I purchase teh LR4 and why did I ever trade it off. I just never know which one to land on.

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72