My LR4 is gone, the dream is dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said it, baobay. And Laszlo agreed: "Exactly like a lion's roar!!! Perfect analogy."

All you guys need are a couple of transponders and you can pretend you're the crew of the Enterprise and beamed down to investigate some abandoned jungle outpost.

And then when the Nav and Audio system goes blank, you can pretend like you've lost contact with Lieutenant Uhura.

gfcronus,
LOL! You are a funny man. LOL!
Beam me up gfcronus!!!

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said it, baobay. And Laszlo agreed: "Exactly like a lion's roar!!! Perfect analogy."

All you guys need are a couple of transponders and you can pretend you're the crew of the Enterprise and beamed down to investigate some abandoned jungle outpost.

And then when the Nav and Audio system goes blank, you can pretend like you've lost contact with Lieutenant Uhura.

gfcronus,
you focus on all the negatives associated with the LR4. The truth is all vehicles have issues like this. Go to any forum, be it mercedes, BMW, lexus, toyota, honda....and you will find the same exact issues being discussed. I own a Honda minivan and on that forum people are complaining about the unreliable electronics, the rotor warp etc...same issues discussed here.
so to sum up, there is no perfect vehicle, but the LR4 comes pretty close considering.....
I have never had any issues with mine....18000 miles and counting

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If I'm going jungle I'd surely have an old school compass in tow.

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
gfcronus,
you focus on all the negatives associated with the LR4. The truth is all vehicles have issues like this. Go to any forum, be it mercedes, BMW, lexus, toyota, honda....and you will find the same exact issues being discussed. I own a Honda minivan and on that forum people are complaining about the unreliable electronics, the rotor warp etc...same issues discussed here.
so to sum up, there is no perfect vehicle, but the LR4 comes pretty close considering.....
I have never had any issues with mine....18000 miles and counting

In truth, I am trying to rationalize why I SHOULD get one, not why I shouldn't. We had two BMWs previously. Then we bought a 2009 Honda Pilot when we are expecting our first child, sold one of the BMWs (my baby, the M3) a few months later and told myself when the time came to get rid of the second BMW, I was going to get a boring, but reliable and economical car that used regular unleaded gasoline. Something like a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry or one of those boring cars.

Two kids later (and hope for a third), I am now thinking of going the complete opposite direction: buying a hogging big SUV that sucks premium gasoline (with gas prices high again) and has a questionable reputation for reliability.

So I am trying to talk myself INTO buying a LR, and by reading about some of the problems people are having, I am trying to figure out a way to convince myself that I could either live with these problems or, better yet, that they probably woudn't happen to me.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In truth, I am trying to rationalize why I SHOULD get one, not why I shouldn't. We had two BMWs previously. Then we bought a 2009 Honda Pilot when we are expecting our first child, sold one of the BMWs (my baby, the M3) a few months later and told myself when the time came to get rid of the second BMW, I was going to get a boring, but reliable and economical car that used regular unleaded gasoline. Something like a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry or one of those boring cars.

Two kids later (and hope for a third), I am now thinking of going the complete opposite direction: buying a hogging big SUV that sucks premium gasoline (with gas prices high again) and has a questionable reputation for reliability.

So I am trying to talk myself INTO buying a LR, and by reading about some of the problems people are having, I am trying to figure out a way to convince myself that I could either live with these problems or, better yet, that they probably woudn't happen to me.
Hey gfcronus,

You bring up some great points and I certainly understand your hesitation about making the plunge and buying an LR4. I agree with baobay's comments, as all vehicles have their issues. I am very happy with my LR4, despite some of the quirks. The blend of luxury, utility, and capability are excellent for the price tag. Before the LR4, I had a 2009 ML350 which gave me very few problems. I will tell you, I had a 2001 Land Rover Discovery and absolutely hated it. It was the biggest piece of crap in the world. By 25,000 miles it felt as though it was going to fall apart and had everything wrong with it. I sold it and got a new 2002 Mercedes E class wagon, which I loved, but it had several issues in the 2 years I owned it. I thought about going back to Land Rover with the LR3, but I just was not into it after the test drive. The LR4, at least, has made some great improvements and has definitely led me back to the brand - despite the quirks and potential issues. I am hoping that Land Rover quality will continue to increase over the years. All this said, I think you are probably better off than some folks who bought the 2010 first year model, as the upcoming 2012 model should have (hopefully) worked out some of these issues. I have talked to LR4 owners who have had a myriad of problems (especially from the 2010 year), but also several (including 2010) who have lots of miles and have had absolutely NO problems. But, like I said, this can happen with any make or model car, etc.

I have a good friend who is a service manager for Lexus / Toyota and he said they see a number of issues lately, especially with Lexus. Still, I definitely considered a Toyota Land Cruiser, as I feel they are a great choice as far as reliability and holding their value. The only problem I had when I drove one was that they were just really boring. I did not care for the new design as much as the previous version.

I guess I am just trying to say that you are doing the right thing in thoroughly exploring the brand, but sometimes these boards can give a false picture as all make/model discussion groups are filled with issues, etc. In the end, I wish you the best of luck making the choice that is best for you and your family.

I apologize if you already mentioned it, but have you driven the LR4 yet?

Thanks, David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have three kids. a 6 yr old and 6 month old twins. The LR is not big enough for three car seats esp if they are rear facing. Just not enough room in the back. I had a Lexus GS350 AWD and I liked that car a lot but had to get rid of it and get a Honda Odyssey touring Elite, which is great. plenty of room and the electronics in that van are more advanced than those of the LR4. Blind spot detection system, blue tooth audio, traffic enabled nav, 3 angle rear view camera, etc..... The van cost me almost as much of the LR4, but to be honest with you, it feels like a tin can in comparison to the LR. The point is, if you are getting this vehicle for 3 kids and all the stuff that goes with them, DON'T. Not enough space. Are your kids still in car seats?
LR vehicles are not known for their roominess and space. They are rugged, nice to drive, solid vehicles which have issues as any car would. I wouldn't recommend the LR for someone with 3 kids esp if they are all in car seats...

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have three kids. a 6 yr old and 6 month old twins. The LR is not big enough for three car seats esp if they are rear facing. Just not enough room in the back. I had a Lexus GS350 AWD and I liked that car a lot but had to get rid of it and get a Honda Odyssey touring Elite, which is great. plenty of room and the electronics in that van are more advanced than those of the LR4. Blind spot detection system, blue tooth audio, traffic enabled nav, 3 angle rear view camera, etc..... The van cost me almost as much of the LR4, but to be honest with you, it feels like a tin can in comparison to the LR. The point is, if you are getting this vehicle for 3 kids and all the stuff that goes with them, DON'T. Not enough space. Are your kids still in car seats?
LR vehicles are not known for their roominess and space. They are rugged, nice to drive, solid vehicles which have issues as any car would. I wouldn't recommend the LR for someone with 3 kids esp if they are all in car seats...
Hey baobay,

You make (another) GREAT point! The LR4 holds lots of cargo when the seats are down and is extremely versatile, but it is not a roomy car for people with several children. It works well for me because it's just me and the dog for the most part, but it is a bit cramped in the back seat compared to other vehicles. I recently rode in my co-worker's Lexus RX350 and was really surprised at how roomy the back seat was in that car. In fact, she had two car seats back there with plenty of room.

Since I don't have kids, this real world, honest advice is really important and something I did not think about until I read your response. If you want space galore, go for the Infiniti QX57 or Cadillac Escalade ESV - I was shocked by how roomy these SUVs were when I sat in them at the auto show. Damn!

-David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey baobay,

You make (another) GREAT point! The LR4 holds lots of cargo when the seats are down and is extremely versatile, but it is not a roomy car for people with several children. It works well for me because it's just me and the dog for the most part, but it is a bit cramped in the back seat compared to other vehicles. I recently rode in my co-worker's Lexus RX350 and was really surprised at how roomy the back seat was in that car. In fact, she had two car seats back there with plenty of room.

Since I don't have kids, this real world, honest advice is really important and something I did not think about until I read your response. If you want space galore, go for the Infiniti QX57 or Cadillac Escalade ESV - I was shocked by how roomy these SUVs were when I sat in them at the auto show. Damn!

-David
David,
funny you mention the infiniti. The van we have now is a lease. I leased bc I knew i will not be driving a van once my kids move to forward facing seats. We are looking into either a GL450 of the infiniti QX57 once the lease on the van runs out. I like the beafiness of the infiniti and the electronics. My wife like the GL450. I think we will end up with the GL. The LR4 drives better than either of those vehicles but no room for three kids...

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score

Yes, they would all be in car seats. But three kids is a big "if" for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that my wife just hit the big "Four Oh" this year. If we did wind up having a third, though, the "plan" would be to put the oldest--who would presumably be 3 years old by then--in the third row. The middle child would be in a front-facing car seat in the second row, directly behind the driver, and the baby would be in a rear-facing car seat in the middle of the second row. The second-row seat behind the front passenger would be used as access to the third row and a seat for the mother-in-law when she came to visit. (That's our set-up right now with the Honda Pilot, minus the child in the third rown.)

Incidentally, I was seriously considering 2011 Volvo XC70 and even test drove one earlier this year. A couple of weeks later, my wife and I learned that that we were expecting our third child. I immediately eliminated the XC70 from further consideration. (We wound up having a miscarriage, but it made me realize that the next vehicle must have three rows like the Pilot.)

Last edited:

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they would all be in car seats. But three kids is a big "if" for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that my wife just hit the big "Four Oh" this year. If we did wind up having a third, though, the "plan" would be to put the oldest--who would presumably be 3 years old by then--in the third row. The middle child would be in a front-facing car seat in the second row, directly behind the driver, and the baby would be in a rear-facing car seat in the middle of the second row. The second-row seat behind the front passenger would be used as access to the third row and a seat for the mother-in-law when she came to visit. (That's our set-up right now with the Honda Pilot, minus the child in the third rown.)

Incidentally, I was seriously considering 2011 Volvo XC70 and even test drove one earlier this year. A couple of weeks later, my wife and I learned that that we were expecting our third child. I immediately eliminated the XC70 from further consideration. (We wound up having a miscarriage, but it made me realize that the next vehicle must have three rows like the Pilot.)

Sorry to hear about the miscarriage. We went through a couple miscarriages and I know they are very tough emotinally and physically (for the wife). Based on what you are saying, it looks like the LR4 will be a good fit for you. The accessibility of the third row seat however is more difficult than in the Pilot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72