Blinding splash issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this, because I really haven't had a problem with this with my past rovers. Maybe it's partially due to those two new 'air deflectors' or whatever they are down on the lower front fascia? I could see how those would help plow up water and throw it over the hood. Maybe try taking those off?
I haven't yet seen deep water with the LR4, so haven't experienced any differences yet.

I took those deflectors off within a month of owning my LR4. One was already halfway torn off from wheeling in the sand dunes. No clue *** they are for in the first place, but I see them on many different brand / model trucks. (Air deflection / MPG?) They just serve as a cheap plastic overhang to be destroyed when off road.

I think the splash issue is a matter of speed and the fact the front wheels are so far forward (Great for off-road approach angles). Any other vehicle, the water would push forward and up and simply hit the front underside of the vehicle.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This does happen with big puddles, probably because the 6000 pounds pushes the water forward and up. The short overhang between the front tires and front bumper doesn't help either.

I can see where it can be a serious issue, but like jwest, I think it's fun and our kids love it when I hit a big puddle and water splashes up on the windshield.

Always keep your wipers on intermittent automatic mode so that the sensor will kick on the wipers as soon as the water hits the windshield.

+1

It's the front overhang and wide tires.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I looked under there and see the two deflector's which appear to be easily removed. We've got a month of monsoon yet, so I'll report back. Good idea!

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I looked under there and see the two deflector's which appear to be easily removed. We've got a month of monsoon yet, so I'll report back. Good idea!

I removed those before even making it down to Albuquerque. It doesn't make any difference and if you're not really going to take your LR4 rock crawling you might as well keep them.
I understand everyone saying that you need to drive slower in water however you still have to drive with the flow of traffic unless you want to be a danger to yourself and others.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Splash Issue Videos.. Maybe these will help figure out a way to cross standing water at speed.

Normal Use
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m27DMu36jTI

In this video you can see the water push forward and out. Perhaps a deflector could be fabricated to direct the water where you want it. As soon as your speed overtakes the speed the water is propelled forward, the water comes back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhslE8Vc6pY

As you see in this video, as you overtake the water, it also shoots over the front, so a rubber cowl hanging down across the front might help break that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6meZwevySo

This last video shows very well the water shooting around, and where it would need to be dealt with. The point at which you hydroplane will depend on a number of factors, but is completely irrelevant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jWurQGRl3o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvcwvQBtXdE

Last edited:

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must reiterate the importance of "going with the flow" trafficwise when driving on our SW streets with no storm sewers during rainy season. The LR simply can't keep up w'out the blinding splashes. Drive slower, risk being rear-ended.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still puzzled by this. Can you estimate how deep the water would be and what the 'normal' speed of traffic is? Is it just like an inch or two and everybody is going 70? I'm picturing people driving at 60mph thru a foot of water, lol.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck at speed, enjoy your future accident. Juice it up to 70, and just plane-it. If your rear ended, it's there fault. Enjoy the insurance money

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to get snippy. I won't comment on this, as it never rains here in L.A. and, when it does, we either get flooded beyond belief or it sprinkles for 10 minutes and that's it for the next 6 months. But I think I can see what the problem might be toward the very end of this video (as I start accelerating to exit the flooded area), which I took on a freeway in Los Angeles a couple of winters ago. If I were going a bit faster, and I was going pretty slow anyway, I imagine that "wall" of water steadily building in front of my hood would have gotten even bigger and sprayed my windshield pretty good. I don't have those silly little spoilers in front of the front wheels, either.

Fording the Golden State Freeway - YouTube

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72