Bolt-on Roof Racks for LR4 Without Rails?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JWLR4

Reaction score
Anyone know of any roof rack options out there that bolt straight to the existing mounting points on the LR4 roof without having a set of rails? Or, has anyone custom fabbed a solution that they can share?

Seems unnecessary to me to have to buy rails to mount a rack unless you need the adjustable cross bars. I’m aiming for a basket style rack that I can mount.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gobi roof rack doesn't use rails and $1500 includes the ladder, cross bars, and shipping.

However, their lead times are usually super long.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I believe FrontRunner Slimline II, Baja Rack, Voyager, Gobi, and OEM are your best choices. If I had a choice, it would be Prospeed for the aerodynamics and visual. FrontRunner is probably the most versatile. The rest are ok, IMO.

Edit: Prospeed removed as it requires short rails.

Last edited:

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in the same situation as you, I’ve no rails installed. I really would like the prospeed rack but this requires the short rails for installation.

JWLR4

Reaction score
I’m in the same situation as you, I’ve no rails installed. I really would like the prospeed rack but this requires the short rails for installation.
I wonder if they’re really required, though. Seems like there’d be some DIY options for mounting to the threaded points on the roof.

If there’s a rack that’s close enough in width to match up with the mounting points, I bet connections could be fabbed-up. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe I just need an unlimited bank account.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, I hear you on the bank account. I'll keep buying the lottery tickets.

Prospeed say that you need the short rails. Of course they are just to support the rack, so I suppose some bracketry could be fabricated. If you are handy in the metal shop then I'm sure it would be relatively easy.

But I think for ease of installation I'll go with the rails.

Snag_Devil

Reaction score
I ordered a GOBI in March and it finally arrived in October, and I'm still waiting on the backpack it was supposed to come with.

Analogue

Reaction score
I’m getting short rails installed at local LR dealer in a week. Prepping in anticipation of my prospeed rack delivery from LK8 which will probably take a few mor months to make its way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s the rhino rack pioneer platform with the backbone rails if you like that look. It’s technically adding rails, but comes with the kit and has less of a lead time issue.

dlonesty

Reaction score
I am getting the frontrunner slimline..can hold 600 lbs, bolts on and has a better ladder.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV