Brake question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rattle? Tabs were the wrong size for the clips? If so then either wrong clips or wrong pads. Currently using Brembo fronts and have used Akebono in the past. No weird noises. Clicking when applying the brakes usually means that someone didn't install the proper bushing pin. The best thing about the Brembo pads is they come with the proper pad weight as the OEM pads. They have been silent. Most odd brake noises are due to install error.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might have been an install error. With the brembo pads, there is a backing plate to the pads - this plate worked itself loose somehow and was rattling around. Either way, noise is gone with Akebonos so I'm happy.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pagid front and ferrodo rear pads I used were identical to the OEM pads. And they work great - totally smooth, completely silent when braking. It’s just the rattle when not braking. I’m certain it’s the clips. I should have taken some time to compare the old clips to the new ones, and maybe re-used the old or just bent the new ones to the proper shape. I’ll get around to it some day.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brake pads have backing plates (just like all brake pads I’ve ever used). I seem to recall they also had a little rubberized coating of some sort on the backing plate, I imagine for noise reduction. I did not put any additional shims or friction material on the backing plate. The pads I took out did not have anything of the sort, and were not rattling at all, so I didn’t figure anything more was needed.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little grease between back of pad and backing plate helps. The counterweighted pads that the OEM pads (some aftermarkets too) help as well.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. The pads have the counterweights just like the oems. I’ll try a little grease on the backs when I get around to switching out the clips.

Dellas42

Reaction score
I also tried the Brembo pads, horrible. I experienced loud squealing and rattling also. On the third attempt to clean grease and reinstall all four corners, I found all the shims(backing plates falling off of the pads. One was even missing completely. Recently switched to EBC Green stuff pads and there is literally zero noise coming from brakes. Finally can use my brakes without people thinking I am stepping on a canary. I have read that Brembo is fairly new to the brake pad market so maybe they’ll get better. I have always loved their calipers and rotors. I would have to respectfully disagree with install error being the cause.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also tried the Brembo pads, horrible. I experienced loud squealing and rattling also. On the third attempt to clean grease and reinstall all four corners, I found all the shims(backing plates falling off of the pads. One was even missing completely. Recently switched to EBC Green stuff pads and there is literally zero noise coming from brakes. Finally can use my brakes without people thinking I am stepping on a canary. I have read that Brembo is fairly new to the brake pad market so maybe they’ll get better. I have always loved their calipers and rotors. I would have to respectfully disagree with install error being the cause.

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one. The sounds were horrendous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM