Broken Arrow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have any of you driven Broken Arrow near Sedona recently? Any advice? Should I expect any issues with my '14 mostly stock LR4 (w/ HD, and Compomotives w/ 265/65/18 Dynapros)? We're thinking of doing it soon. My concern is that we will be on our own and that it is rated "Difficult" in the Funtreks books. We've done a handful of "Moderates" but never a "Difficult". Yet I have seen where others have done it with mostly stock LR4s.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it in my Sport a few years back, one of my favorite trails ever. Most of the trail is actually not as tough as you'd think by its rating (there is a nice "gatekeeper" at the very entrance of the trail, if you make it through that rocky ledge you should be good to go the whole way through), I think it gets its degree of Difficult because of the famous staircase near the very end, which can be a bit unsettling for newbies due to how steep it is when you get to the top. Just follow the tire marks of the thousands of vehicles that drove down and carefully modulate your brakes, it looks worse than it is and you may not even need a spotter (although someone to tell you when your tires are about to drop down another step would definitely help.)

You should make it through with no drama and no risk of damaging anything with your stock LR4. I had oversized 18s on my Sport and rock sliders, no lift, when I did it last. The slider never got close to scraping anything and the approach and departure angles of our cars in off road height, plus the smidgen of extra clearance from our beefier 18" ers, are just about perfect to negotiate all those ledges. As long as it is dry, that slickrock affords incredible traction until you are just about vertical. You will love that trail I am sure, make sure you don't miss the several on-foot detours along the way for some incredible views.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I noticed that I misspoke about my tires. They are 60's not 65's. So I don't get any noticeable lift from them. But I'll use the IIDTool to give it 1" and have my wife spot me down the staircase (letting me know when I am about to ease down a ledge/rock.) She is very good at that! Everyone one I have talked to raves about this trail. We'll plan the whole day so we can take a couple hikes. I'll let you all know how it goes.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some photos from that trail:

SED900.jpg

SED696.jpg

SED680.jpg

SED660.jpg

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted a new avatar for the forum I was on... After balancing on two wheels for some glamour shots a couple of minutes, I carefully backed out of that predicament. Not a scratch on my bumper. Like I said, we had a ton of fun on that trail. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those steps look just like what was in the US Top Gear episode with the Overland Journal LR4. Only difference is, they were driving UP the steps, not down!!

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umberto already explained everything. I would add only one thing. At the begining of the trail there is a "speed bump". Make sure you go slowly over it or you will hit your rear bumper. No problems with a stock LR4 at all. Make sure you go slowly and you will be fine ( especially on a staircase). I did this trail probably 3 time and last time forgot about going slowly at one point and hit my skid plate hard. My mistake.

Attachments

• CIMG1077.jpg
    CIMG1077.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 44
  • PB102046.jpg
    PB102046.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads