Broken Arrow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two pictures of "the steps".

Attachments

• P1080539.jpg
    P1080539.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 44
  • PB102084.jpg
    PB102084.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 49

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those steps look just like what was in the US Top Gear episode with the Overland Journal LR4. Only difference is, they were driving UP the steps, not down!!

You are correct! The same steps. I don't plan on doing it that direction though I suspect any of you could do a better job than those guys did! (IIRC, that LR4 did not have 4L or rock crawl which I would think would have helped going up and which I do have.)

elrocko

Reaction score
Piece of Cake

I've had a stock '97 Blazer, a stock '01 Tacoma, and a stock '10 LR4 on this trail. The LR4 was almost too easy compared to the other two cars, although all three of them made it through without incident. The LR4 never runs out of traction. It is truly an incredible truck. Spotters aren't a necessity either as the trail is very well worn and the best path fairly easy to find.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True confessions. I whimped out. Its called marriage. My wife really, really wanted to hike the trail rather than drive it. So we hiked, ate lunch at Chicken Point then I convinced her to take the road most of the way back to the parking lot. Along the way we watched the Pink Jeeps do their deal where they climb up on a small knob and then drive over the side of it. And then we watched them go down the stairs - in "controlled slides". That was all it took. There was NO way that my wife would let me go on that trail. She said she trusted the Pink Jeep drivers. But that she didn't trust me not to wreck the truck whereby we wouldn't be able to get home. Some other time, then. So we did Greasy Spoon or what the jeep tour folks like to call Diamondback Gulch. Lots of "interesting" down/up as you go through gulches. The only problem was near the end as the sun was setting and the trail lead directly into it. About halfway up each hill you were literally blinded by the sun.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I'm currently registered for and planning to do the Overland Expo in Flagstaff in May I may take a day or two afterwards and go do this. (My wife will be safely at home.) We'll see if I am able to make that trip and if the weather holds. I do have to say that Sedona is an absolutely gorgeous place. We will certainly be back. Here is a pic from our lunch spot at Chicken Point.

I shot some Gopro video while driving Greasy Spoon but it will be a while before I can edit them - and most were directly into the sun. :-(

Attachments

• DSC01375.jpg
    DSC01375.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo