Bulb recommendation for F11 to F9 modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shredahead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been ro running modified F9 bulbs in my projector beam headlights. Have not been able to get a build to last more than 11-12 months. Anyone have any luck finding a long lasting option for the F9 bulbs?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was 1 or 2 months longer than I experienced when I was going that route, and I was careful to use only genuine Phillips bulbs.

I believe the bottom line is that the H9 was originally intended to be a high-beam bulb, so it comes by its brightness at the expense of longevity.

On my 2012, I used H9 bulbs for a few years, then went to used xenon housings for a few years, then went to new euro-code xenon housings for a 2014+ last November. The last is the best by far, but the H9 is a good, simple way to get better lighting.

Shredahead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was 1 or 2 months longer than I experienced when I was going that route, and I was careful to use only genuine Phillips bulbs.

I believe the bottom line is that the H9 was originally intended to be a high-beam bulb, so it comes by its brightness at the expense of longevity.

On my 2012, I used H9 bulbs for a few years, then went to used xenon housings for a few years, then went to new euro-code xenon housings for a 2014+ last November. The last is the best by far, but the H9 is a good, simple way to get better lighting.
Thanks, I've been using Phillips bulbs. I guess thats the best I can do. I should probably consider swapping to xenons. I've been buying an extra set of H9's and dremeling off the tab and keeping the spare ready for the inevitable. Getting to be a PITA!

Shredahead

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks, I've been using Phillips bulbs. I guess thats the best I can do. I should probably consider swapping to xenons. I've been buying an extra set of H9's and dremeling off the tab and keeping the spare ready for the inevitable. Getting to be a PITA!

Shredahead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, whats the difference btwn the US xenon's v the euro-code xenons? Are they easy to find or did you need to order from EU? Lastly are they plug and play with the projector beam wiring/plugs?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it was kind of a pain. And headlights, by their nature, never go out a time where it's convenient.

Shredahead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truth, seems mine only go out in the winter when its freezing and iced up!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, whats the difference btwn the US xenon's v the euro-code xenons? Are they easy to find or did you need to order from EU? Lastly are they plug and play with the projector beam wiring/plugs?

Euro code have what I believe is a better, more defined beam pattern.

Things to consider: They do not have squirrel spotters. And the LED "DRL" portion does not turn off when the turn signal turns on. You'll also have to get a 2014+ grill. It's not necessary to change out the font bumper cover, but the 2014+ front bumper is a little different. Check powerfuluk.com for the grill and a youtube video on how to do the conversion. It's generally just a simple swap but there are some other things, too. And once the swap is done, you'll need to update the ECU with the IID Tool to let it know you are running xenons and want the DRLs activated.

I bought my headlights from LRCentre (lrparts.net) in the UK. Mine are Valeo brand, which is the manufacturer that makes the OEM ones for Land Rover. Make sure you get the ones designed for left-hand-drive vehicles.

EDIT: Here is my post from when I did the swap last November:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA