Buying a LR3 or maybe a LR2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a LR3 would have help here .

Those are cool photos. That's a classic "cross-axled" situation, where even though you have 4wheel drive, one wheel on each axle is free to spin, and the other wheel is pretty useless. It's really more like 2wd, one wheel on each axel will spin. That won't happen in the LR3. It's traction control systems will divert the power from the spinning wheel to the wheels with traction, and it would have just driven straight on through. You might have felt a slight bump, but not enough to spill your latte.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys been slackin on the forums due to work. I am still puzzeled at what you claim you gas mileage is. Yes 15 mpg is consistent in town and in traffic, but on the interstate at 75mph I get 22 - 24 MPG and that is always. I went on a trip last week and went 480 miles before from Fill till the light came on. I also live in Louisiana and its always Hot, so the air is going full blast most of the time. I have an 05 V8 SE with 72,000. Anyone else getting this kinda luck in gas mileage?

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys been slackin on the forums due to work. I am still puzzeled at what you claim you gas mileage is. Yes 15 mpg is consistent in town and in traffic, but on the interstate at 75mph I get 22 - 24 MPG and that is always. I went on a trip last week and went 480 miles before from Fill till the light came on. I also live in Louisiana and its always Hot, so the air is going full blast most of the time. I have an 05 V8 SE with 72,000. Anyone else getting this kinda luck in gas mileage?

That sounds like awesome mileage! Based on my back of the napkin calculation I could hit those numbers at around 55 or 60 MPH, but not at 75 MPH, though I'm not sure how linear the mileage slip is.... Typically I'm an 85-90mph highway traveller and I'm closer to 18/19 MPG...

I did catch that sort of mileage towing 4000lbs along country roads with probably a very slight downhilll slope averaged over 10 miles. I then promptly got ~7MPG getting the trailer up and down the hill at the side of my house - being able to tow 4000lbs up a 40 degree grassy slope is cool though, even if it's just a scant 30 feet or so... feels like the nose is really aimed at the sky!

Last edited:

bluedog18

Reaction score
interstate at 75mph I get 22 - 24 MPG and that is always. I went on a trip last week and went 480 miles before from Fill till the light came on.

That would be GREAT if I got that all the time heading to work or even 19 mpg. I was checking out what the MPG in the jeep was today and according to the computer I was getting 21mpg on the highway and combine it was 18.3 mpg. Most of my driviing is highway which mostly flat with some rolling molehills.

I looked at 2007 LR3 SE with 30,000miles, 7 seater, bumber guard on front, F&R sensors, DVD, GPS coldweather & lighting package plus new tires, rotors and brakes for $28000. I was almost ready to sign on the dotted line but I want to get one for $24000 or under which I'm looking at higher miles and less features.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much you wanna spend bluedog? And what state are you located? I have some friends that are highline dealers that have first dibs on all of LRNA lease returns from Texas

shedward

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the LR3 - no 3rd row in the LR2, more space for long road-trips, more capability, more robust features - the list goes on. I have an LR3 and my ex-wife has an LR2 (both are '08s)...trust me...the LR3, overall, is a much better vehicle.

bluedog18

Reaction score
Hey thanks Mhaise57, I'm in south central PA. I have no problems flying down and driving back up. I like to spend $24000 or less.

bluedog18

Reaction score
Monday I'm getting a LR3 for a 24 hour test ride and then tuesday the LR2.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4