Buying a LR3 or maybe a LR2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you DO go offroad, even a little bit, then get the LR3.

...because once you take it offroad once or twice, you'll want to do it more. ...and then log roads won't be enough...and next thing you know you WILL be going wild like some of the other people here on the site. I should know, that's what happened to me!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't make a buying decision based on which vehicle gets better mileage, or you will never like what you get.
Make a choice based on what you want, built it up a little and go where you want to go. An LR@ and a LR# are so completely different, a LR2 is pretty much worthless off road.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't completely agree with D-Mike in this case because I've seen an LR2 do some pretty good things off-road. Granted, they can't do what a Disco or LR3 can do...or even a Ford Explorer for that matter...but it's better than any cross-over, that's for sure. I think it can do most any trail rated "easy."

TRO4

Reaction score
I bought a used 06 LR3 and absolutely love it. I immediately got rid of the goodyears and put on michelins and a K & N air filter. My LR3 get 20 mpg on the highway, 15'5 around town and 16.5 combined. I'm happy with that. I also put on the OEM 19 inch wheels and the cross bars on the roof rack to make the vehicle stand out. Its a perfect vehicle all the way around--size, performance, luxury, etcc. Plus you don't see yourself coming and going all the time! Get the LR3!!!

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR3 is just far more versatile than the LR2, particularly in cargo capacity, and since the LR2 does not have any ground clearance or low range, it is only useful in traction challenged situations, like a wet lawn, or flat sand, or mild snow, or puddles, etc.. The LR3 can handle roads like this:

166358577_zYS24-L.jpg

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan, you're right...the LR3 kicks ass and can do trails like that. My point is that the LR2 may provide the original poster all the capability he needs and is often undersold for offroad ability. If he's on the road 95% of the time then the LR2 is more agile.

Then again he states that he's gonna be offroad and I think that the LR3 would be better because he'll probably be bit by the bug!

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get the LR2 you may love it or you may wish you would have gotten the LR3. Honestly only time will tell. If you get a LR3 you will not say man I wish I would have gotten a LR2 with less cargo space and mediocre of road ability. I dont see it towing mush either but I don't know. If you want a suv with good mpg get the Q7 in a deisel.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to think the LR2 was a real looker and top of the class. Now, I state emphatically that both the Audi Q5 and the LR2's former corporate cousin Volvo V60 beat the style socks off of the LR2. Man, those are two gorgeous crossover vehicles with fabulous interiors (particularly the unmatched, expensive-feeling Audi's). I also like the new 2010 SRX interior for a more tech-y feel showing off how Caddy upped its game several notches over this decade.

bluedog18

Reaction score
DSC_0075.jpg

I think a LR3 would have help here but again that was St. Patrick's day 2002 and that jeep is long gone to the junkyard (drunk drive hit it).
DSC_0076.jpg

The road was washed away underneath the 6inches of ice and snow. I stop to survey the road ahead before moving on. I started to back up and broke through. MY dad came up and pulled me out. I had to replace the ball joint about 6 months later. I would say about 15% I'm offroad and nothing that crazy in the pictures you see above. I'm starting to think that LR3 might be the way to go not because it's great offroad but for the cargo space. I can put my bicycles in back plus the dog and still have room. ALso it's nice that I can put lumber inside. With my jeep I can put a 2x4 that's 12 foot, inside the jeep and open the rear wind have the rest of it stick out. The LR2 I don't think I could get a 8 footer inside where the LR3 can.

bluedog18

Reaction score
I'm starting to think that LR3 might be the way to go not because it's great offroad but for the cargo space. I can put my bicycles in back plus the dog and still have room. ALso it's nice that I can put lumber inside. With my jeep I can put a 2x4 that's 12 foot, inside the jeep and open the rear wind have the rest of it stick out. The LR2 I don't think I could get a 8 footer inside where the LR3 can.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4