Buying an LR4 from a Buick dealer?? Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actual dealers (most of the time) have some sort of integrity. I bought mine sight unseen from a BMW dealer 1200 miles away, and the truck was extremely well represented and the process was painless. Used car lots on the other hand are a joke.

BillyBones

Reaction score
@mm3846 Yeah, unfortunately it took me about 5 too many used car dealers to figure this out. I saw a lot of LR4s in the process, though.

I am intrigued by your idea to see if I can hold the dealer accountable for their fixes and skip the warranty. Put that 3K into a "my Disco-don't-go" fund?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, see if they will warranty their work for a year. You'll certainly know by then if they messed something up.

Manndolins

Reaction score
And ask for inventory of parts replaced.. the jeep dealer I bought from printed off a copy of work done by them and also of work done by local LR dealer that they had to send it to for AC and other work.. overall they spent over $5k on it and delivered it 3 hours away to make me happy.. (at same agreed upon price) so dealer was great! They just happen to have a sketchy mechanic.

BillyBones

Reaction score
All great tips! Thank you. I feel better about the situation and a little better equipped. I just really hope this one works out. I'll drop photos if it does!

echo3

Reaction score
I'm reading through this in nearly the same situation. Terrible time to buy a car, but it was a great time to sell a car and now I sit in need of a something. Love the LR3/LR4. Looked at several 3's and have given up. They are either beat to death or just not cared for. LR4's are plentiful. All of them probably just got a quote for the timing chain and traded them in. All around 90-120k miles. All just under 20k. Found a perfect one and dealership is willing to let me take to my own shop for Timing Chain Job. Bring them a quote and they will take half the amount off the sale price. I got a quote from a very reputable LR repair shop for almost $5200. Parts going up. What else am I in for? I really want the truck but two people I called for repair wouldn't even quote and said run away as fast as possible. Is a 120k no incident LR4 worth the risk if starting with the timing chain behind me (for now). I have had Jeeps, old BMW's, older truck, etc. I am comfortable working on them - but would rather spend more time in it than under it. Thanks!!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason, I've seen more and more online over the last few months that the LR4s are unreliable. I heartily disagree. I think the issue is that, as they get older, the fourth and fifth owners are buying them and getting ones that were not maintained.

If the timing chain job has been done, the other major engine maintenance is the front and rear coolant crossovers and water pump. Have that done the same time as your timing chain. You might also think about having the fuel injectors really looked at and cleaned or replaced.

The other big maintenance things have to do with the air suspension. Either an air strut or the air compressor. This is no different than a standard vehicle, though, whose struts need replaced at around 100k miles.

Change all the fluids right when you get it. This includes the transmission fluid.

Should be good to go after that, so long as the previous owner at least did the minimum maintenance.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason, I've seen more and more online over the last few months that the LR4s are unreliable. I heartily disagree. I think the issue is that, as they get older, the fourth and fifth owners are buying them and getting ones that were not maintained.

If the timing chain job has been done, the other major engine maintenance is the front and rear coolant crossovers and water pump. Have that done the same time as your timing chain. You might also think about having the fuel injectors really looked at and cleaned or replaced.

The other big maintenance things have to do with the air suspension. Either an air strut or the air compressor. This is no different than a standard vehicle, though, whose struts need replaced at around 100k miles.

Change all the fluids right when you get it. This includes the transmission fluid.

Should be good to go after that, so long as the previous owner at least did the minimum maintenance.

Buick dealership, I bet this was a trade in vehicle along with Buick mechanics clueless about LR's being not trained by LR schooling.

Third party extended warranty coverage, read the small print as there is a lot not covered by them and don't forget labor is on you be it a $50 part "free repalcement" costing $980 (example) to replace "customer pays" at their labor rate.

A sure bet dealerships lowballed trade ins more than doubling their money from the start.

Buick dealership. patch up and get that LR sold and off their lot ASAP.
A sure bet all used trade in vehicles must meet safety check inspections and being a used vehicle plus not a Buick it will be sold "AS-IS" no warranty coverage.

A standard vehicle has spring suspension which is trouble free unless overloaded and sacked out springs vs air suspension bags, compressor, ride heigth sensors and linkage normal wear and tear by anything above 50-60K miles repeated again.
Air leaking supension bags not replaced causing overworked compressor known to finally fail added to the replacement parts list bills. The price one pays to play......~~=o&o>......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA