Camshaft Sensor and Low Oil Level..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith Hollis

Reaction score
Considering sales volume of new vehicles sold, is it just me, or is there really a high percentage of these fine luxury British vehicles with motor failures?

Oil consumption/loss, coolant leaks, fuel rail pressure concerns and lean codes. Generally on vehicles that aren't that old and do not have that many miles.

"Annual Services" are not a great idea at face value.

10K miles (and higher) recommended oil change intervals are not a great idea at face value.

The manufacturers (all of them) are happy to play along with the Climate Change crowd and our fine government when they suggested (years ago) that we extend oil drain intervals to reduce the amount of waste oil created annually. No sweat. The manufacturers have nothing to lose. They're all out of warranty before these expensive repairs are required.

1) Changing you motor oil by the calendar and not waiting on an idiot light or an odometer reading to reach a particular mileage would be a good idea - especially for daily drivers with short-trip commutes. We used to say 3 months or 3K miles, and all anyone ever heard was "3K miles". Even with more efficient engines, closer tolerances, and synthetic oils, we're talking about machinery, and preemptive maintenance goes a long way. The VVT systems have small oil passages that easily become clogged with residual dirty oil over time. After repeated extended drain intervals. If you want to extend service intervals, you had best perform an engine flush at each oil change and get ALL of the dirty oil out when it drains. Otherwise, 2-3 oil changes/year minimum should go a long way towards preventing these failures.

Quit buying to Annual Service garbage.

2) The plastic and rubber components your JLR vehicles are comprised of leave a lot to be desired. (Just look at your key fobs/keys.) It's all the same grade and quality of materials used under the hood and in the interior of your fine luxury vehicle. I spent many years as a service consultant at a very large Lexus dealership, writing over 6,000 repair orders a year for many of those years (and 4K-5K repair orders minimum for almost 16 years), and never saw such problems or material failures. The Japanese (Toyota, anyway), did their homework in terms of materials research.

My 2 cents.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a "rebuilt" engine is burning through a quart of oil per 1000 miles (or worse, as @Waterndirt reported)... something was done wrong in the "rebuild" process. My engine (with 135kmi now) has gone 7kmi between oil changes and burned less than 1 quart over the 7k. High oil consumption on a used motor with 150kmi is not good, but on a fresh rebuild this is absolutely, completely unacceptable. Anyone who isn't sure what their consumption level is, should check this carefully. Remember there is a procedure in the FSM to reset the oil level gauge after an oil change, with the correct level in the sump.

Regarding OCI's... the decades-old 3-month/3kmi rule of thumb was from a different era, different engines, different build tolerances, different oil quality. These Jaguar AJ-series engines are tight-tolerance motors designed to use good full-synthetic oil and there's little point in changing very often under normal service conditions. Note that severe service cuts the OCI in half. Changing the proper oil at the proper time, the oil should never become "dirty" enough to clog anything internally. Personally I'd never use any engine flush product unless as a last resort prior to shelling out for a replacement motor, for some extremely unusual circumstances. That's a discussion for a separate thread though. YMMV, etc etc...

:pcguru:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has close to 130k on it now and I don't notice any oil usage at all.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has close to 130k on it now and I don't notice any oil usage at all.

Something I should add to this. I live in Kansas City. There are some hills here, but nothing severe. It's mostly pretty flat.

When I go to Colorado, though, I notice how much harder I have to be on the engine and transmission, just to negotiate the mountain passes.

So while I have 130k miles, I think they are pretty easy miles compared to what others may have.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA