Chasing one last foreign sound...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, need a little help.

When off-road and in a turn (but not necessarily while moving the wheel) under some load such as a slight uphill or other torque-needed scenario, I hear a "clank" sound seemingly from either of the wheel wells. I don't particularly feel it in the wheel. There is also a slight shimmy when I'm on the highway that I'd just chalked up to the big MT/Rs.

Bearings??? How much do those typically cost to R&R?

2005, 113,000 miles. Bearings never replaced.

Trynian

Reaction score
Had a similar issue on my buddies LR3. Went through everything. CV joints, swaybars ball joints, you name it. Turned out to be the skid plates flexing.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skid plate sounds about right.

I might note that you can purchase about five far east sourced wheel bearing assemblies for the price of one genuine LR part number LR014147 so it really comes down to the cost of labour.

If your are adventurous, consider the Timken HA500601 product; you can purchase a pair of them for about the price of one LR assembly.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skid plate flex...I love it! I have a ton of those; maybe that's it. Just had the tie-rods changed out; I'd think the dealer would check the bearings as a matter of procedure and opportunity to upsell me. So many new components between the tires that there isn't much it could be.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timken is the Original manufacturer of Genuine LR product, but I went with SKF when I was changing mine last year.
Weird sound ah ? Maybe we should create sticky with different ones , regarding our LR3, I am sure we would create a sizable library of just that, maybe even better, than Hollywood producers have in their studios..:smile:
O boy, ...if I had a dollar for every sound I heard in my LR3, ..I could buy an LR4 , used one, but certainly LR4...Cheers

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When one of my bearings went, it started as a constant whine and turned into a constant howl. It sounded like I was running studded monster truck mud tires up front.

I was told that you can't just replace the bearing, you need to replace the entire front hub. It figures...after putting in a new OEM front hub, now I read about less expensive part options.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thorgal you are probably right. ...I should just ignore it. When I'm on the road my vehicle is quiet (except for the floppy accoustic box cover that doesn't have a bottom to attach to) but on the trail this clanking sound gets added in. It eats away at my confidence. If I ignored every sound on a trail it could lead to trouble. For instance, I now know distinctly what it sounds like when the upper control arm smacks the air shock!

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm_WA,

I responded to your post on another forum about how to check for wheel bearing play, but wanted to chime in here and just let you know that what you are describing honestly sounds like it might be a stabilizer/sway bar issue. I would just get under and check the front stabilizer bar, links, and bushings for a possible breakage or excessive play (with the bushings). This is something you wouldn't feel in the steering wheel, but could definitely clank around corners or when the suspension is articulating.

If you don't see anything obvious though, then just turn the music up and drown it out! :smile:

elrocko

Reaction score
control arm?

I had a rattle from the front over dirt road - it was a control arm. Replaced under warranty.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks elrocko and cmb6s; I am familiar with all these sounds as I've changed out control arms (and bushings) as well as swaybar bushings. Also the end links are good; and tight.

This sound is different. It's a series of clanks, not a dull clunk. It usually occurs in groups of 2 or 3.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM