Checking out LR3; Changes for 2006 & Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

SouthPaw1227

I'm new here, but I've been checking out SUV options for 2006/2007 when I'll be getting married. I already have a car that'll be paid off in August, but I want an SUV for the wife and future family. I wanted a machine that'll perform off-road (we love to drive to PA to snow-ski and we live near the Outer Banks of NC so driving on sand and rocks is a must!) yet drive comfortably on-road for the majority of the year.

The only ones we like are:
Lexus GX-series
Hummer H3
VW Tourag
Land Rover LR3

The biggest advantages I've found in the LR are: 7-ppl seating, great on-road comfort, amazing interior/technology. I have the X-Plan as well, but I'd probably buy used as it's streching my budget.

I want the HSE for the audio system & DVD/voice system. I'm going to my local dealer tonight to check some out, but of course I won't purchase until the 2006 models are out. My main questions are this:

Do we have any clues on what 2006 model changes will be? I'm going for the V8 HSE regardless, so the stripped V6 model doesn't do me any good. Also, has the "not so advertised" fuel consumption been dealt with? Can I expect slightly better fuel economy out of the 2006 model maybe? Anyway, I hope to enjoy the stop tonight & will try to grab some pics from the lot :)

S

SouthPaw1227

^ Thanks for that link. 14/18 is fine with me, but I've heard numerous people getting ~10MPG at all times, and that is definitely not acceptable.

T

tommithy

mileage

We've had our HSE for a few weeks now and we are getting the advertised mileage. No long road trips as of yet but in mixed city/some freeway driving we get about 15 mpg. I imagine that on strictly highway driving it would go up to around 18 or so.

Tommithy

T

texas911

Mine is consistently getting 14-15mpg, but have seen it go to 18 on long highway trips.

S

SouthPaw1227

Well I went to my dealer and thankfully found a younger, no hassel salesmen. I told him up front I didn't plan on buying for some time, and never once did he try to sell me anything. Good first impression.

Took me on a joyride though, in a silver V8 SE (demo model). Went on the dealer-made "off-road" course consisting of rock patches, a 45 degree incline/decline, and a 45 degree tilt in which we drove straight across. AMAZING. The air-suspension blew my mind. I feared for my life on that tilt but the Rover wouldn't budge. And all the while, quiet as a mouse inside the cabin.

Acceleration was very acceptable also. He even let me test drive it on-road knowing full well I wasn't going to purchase, and it was a dream. The seats felt great, telescoping wheel was lovely, brakes were SOLID as a rock, and it turned & handled like a high-end car, IMO. I have a 93 Explorer Limited 4x4 and this thing was smooth as butter in comparison, and even in comparison to my parent's '01 F-150 4x2. The NAV system (looked inside a HSE model) blew me away. Real time GPS, wow. The audio system was awesome as well. Couldn't really find anything I didn't like aside from the fact that it's not extremely "flashy" inside (function over form) BUT the wood-grain dash accessory would take care of most of that. The white/beige combo suited me best.

The on-road performance was honestly as good as a finely tuned car. It drives like a car. I can't figure out how, but it feels like driving a car, and I love that. Plus it can cross the beaches, snow, and downpours here without issue. It's just quite expensive. My only substantial complaint is price. Yes, it's worth every penny, but it's a lot of pennies to get.

Has anyone bought one w/ the X-Plan? How good of a discount did you get? I know the MSRP for the HSE is ~$49,9xx, and invoice is $45,555. I would add the Heavy Duty Package ($625), rear-seat package ($1,250), cooler console ($250), wood-grain dash kit ($613), Tow Package ($$$? anyone know this cost?), as well as try to bargain w/ some all-rubber floormat (for sand/mud use) and the rear rubber cargo mat, and the front & rear mud flaps.

I'd hafta order one if I ended up getting this sooner than expected (possible, but I doubt it) which is a shame, but I won't find one loaded like that without ordering/getting it trucked in from another location.

This test-drive has made me want an LR3 intensely. I should've known that would happen. Anyway, any experience with the X-Plan would be great, thanks! :)

T

texas911

It drove like a high end car because it is a high end car!

W

w6000

you have to also get the rear air with the rear seat package. $950.00 I believe.

S

SouthPaw1227

^ Ah yeah, good point. Anyone used the X-Plan pricing on a new LR3?

C

craigf15

I purchased a loaded LR3 in March on the x plan. Note that it is at dealer discretion so you might have to shop dealers as the first one I talked to would not budge off list price. I got a LR3 SE with Nav, cold package, lighting package and rear climate (get this option as vehicle gets hot in the sun with all that glass) which listed for $53,000 +/- down to $50,200. Not full x plan but SE's with Nav were in short supply and they would not sell a HSE below retail.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM