Chedk Engine Light After Re-fueling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

discolives78

Reaction score
:cool:Hey All,

So I drove out to the valley from my house and I decided that I should re-fuel before my trip and I completely forgot to put in 91 grade gasoline. I did it out of pure habit because my tahoe takes 87 grade fuel without a problem. So yea, I screwed up and I put in 87. Everything was fine but this morning my check engine light came on. The car passed smog with flying colors on Saturday 5/25.
The vehice runs fine but should I be really, extremel worried?

I went to the gas station this morning and filled it up with 91 fuel to mix in with the lower grade fuel and eventually flush it out and then maybe it'll either go away or I'll get the OBD2 scanner to reset the code. Any thoughts?? Please help a brotha out with advice, not bashing. It was a rookie mistake so hopefully I will learn this lesson with digging into my pockets. Cheers!

:cool:

rover_zps7bf656f5.jpg

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be as simple as you didn't tighten the gas cap all the way (minimum 3 clicks) or the octane level.... or it could be something all together different. Without the codes can't really say.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lower octane did not trip the light, could be the cap or something else and you won't know till you get the codes read.
Get back to us with the fault code numbers so we can help you.

discolives78

Reaction score
OK Guys,

Here are the codes I got from my brother's reader: P1447, and P0451.
Can anyone post pictures of their fuel caps? I want to make sure mine is the right one as well. Thanks!!!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, how is the engine running?
You don't need a picture of a gas cap to find your problem.
A 451 is an evap. control pressure system pressure sensor out of range/performance.
The 1447 is an evap system purge valve open or short circuit

discolives78

Reaction score
The engine is running fine. It passed smog with flying colors. I do have front seal leak but I'm staying on top of it until I can muster up the cash to get the seal replaced. Seems the engine light comes on after every fill at the gas station.

Any advice on how to go about replacing the sensor and fixing the evap system purge valve issue?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't take this wrong, but per your questions you are not mechanical and you probably won't find that issue. Do you have a good Rover shop, not a dealer, in your area? Also, how many miles on the engine?

discolives78

Reaction score
Hey Mike,

Not to sound rude but I thought I joined this forum to learn about my vehicle, not be judged based on technical verbage. As far as me being a mechanic in the technical and truest sense of the word, no....I'm not a mechanic. But I am mechanically sound and I do have a rover shop (not a dealer) that I can also refer to but I'd like to see if I can solve this issue on my own with my brother (who also owns a Range Rover and is a lot more mechanically inclined than myself). So asking me how my disco's engine is running is as close to tire kicking can be in a forum. Why ask that if you're not willing to at least direct me as I try to solve the check engine light issue? It has 133k miles in case you're still interested.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned already, don't take it personally, I know what it takes to work on a Rover. I know when to try and walk some one thru a project and when not to based on the skills and tools that may be needed, in your case the ability to do a smoke test or electrical testing devices required to read different sensor signals.
Do your self a favor, I am trying to keep you from causing yourself more issues and expenses, so take it to a shop.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oledave49