Cloud of Smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrp86

Reaction score
hello, im new here...

i have a 2010 lr4 5.0, i am getting a Huge cloud of bluish smoke on moderate acceleration right a gear change. This cloud is Huge!! I am not getting any codes, and the truck runs great apart from this. I have changed the PCV valve already.. Several of techs have checked it and cant find the issue. Odd thing is after the cloud it wont do it for another while. I notice it do it more after leaving parked a few days, and after it warms up. PLEASE HELP, im at a point of taking it to a scrap yard!!!

youtube link

Last edited:

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be oil rings or valve seals, Im sure someone will chime in with more experience...

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
typically that sounds like valve seals if it happens after sitting. It should smoke right after start up though.

That smoke does not look too blue. Have you had someone trail you and see if it smells sweet (coolant) or oily?

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like coolant smoke to me.

Very generally, white smoke is coolant, bluish smoke is oil, and black is fuel. Yours looks white to me.

I would be looking hard for a cracked head or blown head gasket. Maybe add some UV dye to your coolant and look around with a black light.

ETA: The intermittent part is a bit wonky, but I have seen vehicles with a blown head gasket lay down a smoke screen just like that, just on a more continual basis. Like a full-on James Bond running from bad guys smoke screen. My money is on a blown head gasket that is intermittently leaking in your case.

Last edited:

xrp86

Reaction score
thing is im not loosing coolant. it occasionally smokes on start up but not all the time. I am loosing oil.

After it smokes like this i wont do it for a while, it builds up. You can drive it hard and it runs fine.. It only does when you accelerate enough to hold the gear longer but not flooring it.. i think from 2nd-3rd gear, at shift change.

If it were the rings or valves it would smoke constantly.. ??

xrp86

Reaction score
UPDATE:

After driving a while and leaving rover parked for 1hr + it will smoke on acceleration how stated, but not at start up. If you drive normal easy it will not smoke.

I had my window down on the video and a smell is like oil. Like when you spill oil trying to fill and run the truck. oil burning on the heads or block smell.

I had the cross over coolant pipes go bad, and that smelled very different when coolant was heating burning.

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check the intake and see if there is oil accumulated in there. Sounds like oil is collecting in there and accumulates when you turn the engine off. Then when you accelerate hard the first time it all gets sucked through and burned off.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good idea and that sounds like the right track(t) (pun intended).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA